Windows Phone dead?

Soldato
Yep! Had 122 on my 830 for about 2 days, after figuring out I needed to drop off the Fast Ring! Did the same last night and 164 popped up and installed!! :D

Very nippy, Bluetooth is more stable with my Band 1 and the battery doesn't seem to drain as fast as 107 or 122 :)

Soldato
They are almost identical spec wise

http://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=6647

Screen slightly bigger and stereo speakers. Slightly worse battery due to the bigger screen.

And dual sim I think.

Okay... and it's not a patch on the original Moto G. I bought the 2nd Gen and sold it, keeping the original. I don't really know any other way to say it...

**EDIT** Original - Better battery, better screen, better speaker (I need volume, not stereo), much more fluid, worse camera is all.

Caporegime
What about this plan to make it easier for developers to port apps from iOS/Android to Windows Phone? Does anyone think it'll work? I was thinking of going Windows Phone later in the year to replace my aging iPhone5, but looking into it none of the apps I really need (e.g. banking) are available.

Soldato
Okay... and it's not a patch on the original Moto G. I bought the 2nd Gen and sold it, keeping the original. I don't really know any other way to say it...

**EDIT** Original - Better battery, better screen, better speaker (I need volume, not stereo), much more fluid, worse camera is all.

You might have had a faulty unit. Most review didn't notice much difference.

Maybe related, Across many devices newer version of Android and updates seem to have caused a lot of performance issues. Especially in devices with 1GB of RAM. Hence a move to devices with 2G of RAM.

Soldato
What about this plan to make it easier for developers to port apps from iOS/Android to Windows Phone? Does anyone think it'll work? I was thinking of going Windows Phone later in the year to replace my aging iPhone5, but looking into it none of the apps I really need (e.g. banking) are available.

If you need apps I wouldn't move to WP yet.

MS has made Android and IOS its priority for its own apps and services.

Associate

The new Instagram Beta app is a direct port of the IOS app apparently, so the process clearly works to some extent. Whether or not it will see widespread use is up for debate but I wouldn't move if there is stuff you need that isn't available now.

Caporegime

Microsoft has killed Windows Bridge for Android (Project Astoria), so porting apps from Android to Windows will never happen.

Windows Bridge for iOS is still going. I've no idea how popular it is or if it's even working yet?

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
I have a lumia 640 for work and it's great for work. Emails, calendar and Lync. But it stops there, it's terrible for choice of apps, it seems quite clunky as well, no where near as polished as my iPhone. I would never get a windows phone for personal use.

Associate
Bottom line is that MS is really bad at marketing and supporting its portable market - has been ever since zune.

Too slow to update, they come up with exciting ideas with no follow through or pull support after the beta, hardware updates too slow, patchy, no roadmap.

I prefer wp to ios/droid but I'm still on an 830. New hardware is bland. They should have let Nokia be - they were making the best handsets and apps.

Back
Top Bottom