Vw used approved warranty - help

Soldato
Hey all,

Been having a battle with the dealership over a clunking noise when going on and off power, a whine when any amount of turn is applied in gear at slow speed and a slack feeling when you go from overrun and apply throttle again. ( this can be seen with a small 50-100 rpm jump on the Rev counter which then drops back to where it was).

They replaced the steering rack as there is apparently a tpi for the noise when turning at low speed but as I voiced as a concern to them - it didn't fix the issue as there is no noise out of gear or with the clutch in.

My regular trusted mechanic has said there's quite a bit of backlash in the box and suspects diff bearings may be the culprit. However, the dealership have told me I must wait for the box to break... If it does and despite vw used warranty allowing for wear and tear that I have to live with it? The car has done 60k with fvwsh - can anyone offer any advice?

I feel like I'm being fobbed off due to their £1200 steering rack that's fixed nothing.

Soldato
You are being fobbed off and should push. The car shouldn't clunk when coming on and off power and you didn't buy an approved VW to get a clunking car. Give them another opportunity and tell them you'll be escalating if they don't act. Usual process - aftersales manager if you've not spoken already, dealer principal, VW UK and it should be sorted by then.

Soldato
OP
They've had it multiple times over the same fault. They are now going to fit a g28 sensor on the advice of vw de and hope that cures it, my gut feeling is they aren't giving them all the symptoms as the whining groaning noise when turning will definitely not be fixed by that.

Perhaps I'll give vw UK a call later after work?

nas

nas

Associate
They should fix this or at least attempt to see to it. Where there's a fault that you believe is apparent they suggest taking your car in and carrying out the "strip down". If it transpires that the fault can be fixed under warranty, they will proceed with the work, you pay your excess if applicable and that's it.

If it's not covered then the cost of the "strip down" will fall on you. So it's a case of whether if it's a risk you're willing to take. I was fairly adamant that there was an issue with my timing chain at the time and warranty covered to subsequent repair from the inspection.

Was my experience of having a mechanical issue sorted without the usual dash lights etc as it's something that can go wrong at any time without warning

Associate
Have you gone to more than one VW dealer?

I've had issues in the past where one dealer basically said "no fault" for months and another acknowledged a serious issue on the first diagnosis.

So these days I get a second opinion when needed and preferably from a different chain if the local dealers are owned as part of a group.

Soldato
OP
Have you gone to more than one VW dealer?

I've had issues in the past where one dealer basically said "no fault" for months and another acknowledged a serious issue on the first diagnosis.

So these days I get a second opinion when needed and preferably from a different chain if the local dealers are owned as part of a group.

Unfortunately they are a group mate! I could perhaps travel to Plymouth but in all honesty I don't have much faith that it'll get there. It's really whining now both on acceleration and overrun and the judder is getting worse! No fault found though! They must think its a rickety theme park ride!

Soldato
OP
Spoke to the service chap, he said they can strip it under my instruction but if no fault found I'd be liable for the cost.

I'm just trying to work out whether to gamble that or not! Their master tech said there's backlash in the box for sure - so what says you ocuk - Do I spin again on the VW roulette wheel? :)

If it's making all the symptoms you describe then something is wrong and they damn well fix it regardless of any gamble they say you should make, what a farce. You have a warranty - it's up to them to find it, not ask you to make a bleeding gamble on what's wrong. Bunch of clowns, get in there with boxing stance.

Remember - you have paid a substantial amount for the car which includes a warranty, the car is now broken so they fix it as you have paid them for this service.

EDIT - Also remember that if they say there is nothing wrong then why did they replace the steering rack?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If it's making all the symptoms you describe then something is wrong and they damn well fix it regardless of any gamble they say you should make, what a farce. You have a warranty - it's up to them to find it, not ask you to make a bleeding gamble on what's wrong. Bunch of clowns, get in there with boxing stance.

Remember - you have paid a substantial amount for the car which includes a warranty, the car is now broken so they fix it as you have paid them for this service.

EDIT - Also remember that if they say there is nothing wrong then why did they replace the steering rack?

They replaced the steering rack based on a TPI, but the car didn't meet all the symptoms of the TPI. I picked the car up, all fixed for you. Took it up the road and drove straight back due to the same damn noise.

Cost involved would be their labour in removing the box which would add up pretty fast! However, they apparently took a sample of gearbox oil at my request which had a lot of debris in it but didn't put into place any action because of it.

Sounds like your steering pump is on its way out.

That clunk/slipping your describing is the same as what my van is doing right now.

Think that's the gear box failing

I don't have a power steering pump, have an electro mechanical rack... which has been replaced! I indeed believe its the gearbox failing. I've contacted VW UK for further advice as I'm fed up with the place now! It's having a new crankshaft position sensor fitted next week for the visible and audible rpm jump.... but the sensor is recording what the engine is doing, so why they're replacing the sensor I don't know.

Associate
How long has the warranty got remaining?

If it was me I'd want some written confirmation from VW/dealership that the warranty will still be honoured if it fails when out of warranty.

Edit; Can you not take someone there that knows what they're doing out in the car to demonstrate the issue?

Last edited:
Associate
If it was me I'd want some written confirmation from VW/dealership that the warranty will still be honoured if it fails when out of warranty.

I tried that with my Audi with a gearbox issue which had dragged on for months and they wouldn't give anything in writing so I expect the VW part of VAG is any different. I was forced to find a better dealership and ended up with a new gearbox under warranty so worth the persistence.

Soldato
OP
How long has the warranty got remaining?

Edit; Can you not take someone there that knows what they're doing out in the car to demonstrate the issue?

They know the issue, their master tech can hear the clunking, the odd noise when loading up the box with slow turns and the whine.

He said it probably is the box but blah blah risk of warranty not paying etc etc! The warranty has two weeks remaining now, this is an issue I've been fighting for the last few months.

I tried that with my Audi with a gearbox issue which had dragged on for months and they wouldn't give anything in writing so I expect the VW part of VAG is any different. I was forced to find a better dealership and ended up with a new gearbox under warranty so worth the persistence.

What was the issue with your box?

I've sent VW a message requesting their assistance on the matter now. Arrived home from work too late to ring them yesterday so if I hear nothing Tuesday I'll ring them.

Soldato
They replaced the steering rack based on a TPI, but the car didn't meet all the symptoms of the TPI. I picked the car up, all fixed for you. Took it up the road and drove straight back due to the same damn noise.

Cost involved would be their labour in removing the box which would add up pretty fast! However, they apparently took a sample of gearbox oil at my request which had a lot of debris in it but didn't put into place any action because of it.

I don't have a power steering pump, have an electro mechanical rack... which has been replaced! I indeed believe its the gearbox failing. I've contacted VW UK for further advice as I'm fed up with the place now! It's having a new crankshaft position sensor fitted next week for the visible and audible rpm jump.... but the sensor is recording what the engine is doing, so why they're replacing the sensor I don't know.

Well my gearbox went today ;-( had exaclty the same symptoms as you described. And it only lasted a few week' longer.

Back
Top Bottom