5th May UK regional elections discussion and results

Soldato
Our local councillor has personally helped both us and our next door neighbour (on unrelated issues), so she'll certainly be getting our vote.

Not sure about the police commissioner; as Glaucus says, they basically all say they're going to do the same thing, so I'll probably vote for whichever one looks least like a scumbag :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Only a police commissioner vote in my area that I'm not bothered about, so not voting today.

Soldato
Just the police commissioner so voted for the only guy who had actually done some policing before.

Unsurprisingly Labour were running on a campaign of "Bash the Tories" rather than, you know, crime prevention.

Caporegime
Well given I live in such a staunchly Labour area that every other party can't be bothered to even try to get elected, I don't really see why I should bother to vote.

The town I live in is split into 4 wards and the candidates trying to get elected today are:
Ward 1 - Labour, Tory, Green, BNP
Ward 2 - Labour, Tory
Ward 3 - Labour, Tory, Green
Ward 4 - Labour, Tory, Green

Lib Dems and UKIP haven't even bothered to put forward any candidates. Lib dems haven't put forward a candidate in my ward since 2008.

How is it a democratic process when for example the people in ward 2 only have a choice between Labour and Conservative? Which here is basically a choice between Labour and nothing. People won't vote conservative because of ideological reasons, as it is a northern working class, urban area.

I certainly don't want UKIP in my area but they got 20% of the vote in the 2015 General. Why wouldn't they stick a candidate or 2 in?

For clarity I do vote in all other elections but for local I probably vote on 1 in 3 occasions.

Because UKIP were too lazy, too incompetent or simply no kipper in the ward felt like going forwards. It has nothing to do with democracy, every party had the right to put forward a candidate.

Soldato
Can't stand the current PCC. Rarely see any police around here, the only presence they have here are speed traps. Quite happy with the job that labour are doing here in wales, doubt any of the others would be any better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a going to be a bad day for Labour. We'll do well in London which the spin will try and present as a big success but in reality is simple the resumption of normal service. Outside of there I expect losses of a couple of hundred councillors and another bad result in Scotland - we might even come third which would be a disaster - and a passable but not good night in Wales.

Caporegime
Also, for the first time in my life I put in a vote for a Tory. Second preference after the Labour PCC guy obviously but with the only other candidates being UKIP and an utterly uninspiring Lib Dem I figured the Tory candidate was the least worst of the rest.

Caporegime
Also, for the first time in my life I put in a vote for a Tory. Second preference after the Labour PCC guy obviously but with the only other candidates being UKIP and an utterly uninspiring Lib Dem I figured the Tory candidate was the least worst of the rest.

Very non-tactical voting, dont you understand how our totally entirely democratic not remotely coercive system works?

Anyway, it doesnt matter, Scotland is basically a one party state at this point, my vote would mean nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite an awful, negative campaign against him from the right wing press/conservative party, London look like to go Labour in the Mayor department?

Back
Top Bottom