Source Control

Soldato
Hi there,

Just wondering what you guys use for source control, currently we use a old legacy SharePoint system that really isn't suitable. So basically looking for recommendations and something that can be ran locally on a network and not online :)

Thanks

Associate
Git is a good choice. Having only used it for a couple of months now I've found it to be really useful.

It's worth looking at the tutorial videos the Tower app for Mac has. Even if you aren't on OSX, I found the videos really helpful :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
We use mercurial (hg) at work; I personally prefer it to git as the tools are better (TortoiseHG is brililant) but they're pretty much identical in what they achieve.

If the Windows tools for git were as good I'd hapilly migrate all our projects (about 115) over but I always get frustrated with them. A feature of TortoiseHG I use all the time is being able to shelve chunks of files, and being able to have as many shelves as you want, it fits with my work pattern very well as I may end up fixing two bugs at the same time but want to commit them separately or hold one back tempoarily.

Associate
We use mercurial (hg) at work; I personally prefer it to git as the tools are better (TortoiseHG is brililant) but they're pretty much identical in what they achieve.

If the Windows tools for git were as good I'd hapilly migrate all our projects (about 115) over but I always get frustrated with them. A feature of TortoiseHG I use all the time is being able to shelve chunks of files, and being able to have as many shelves as you want, it fits with my work pattern very well as I may end up fixing two bugs at the same time but want to commit them separately or hold one back tempoarily.

You can do that with git. Command line anyway. Whether the wide variety of GUIs for windows git support that is another question. I would expect many of them to do so. Jetbrains ides with their git integration do.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Oh OK. Might have to take another look. SourceTree sort of does it but it's horrendously slow which is a shame.

I love command line stuff for nearly everything but for source control I find it doesn't t fit well with my works tyle, it would be far too fiddly. I guess I'm the problem :p

Soldato
GitHub is so popular that it muddies the water about what git itself is. The whole point of git is that it's decentralised and yet so much of its use is centralised via GitHub :o

I'm fine with command-line source control but I like GUI programs for diffing because you get smarter layouts and indicators.

Associate
At work we use Git with Sourcetree, with GitLab running on a local server for people who want to reference stuff quickly but not bother with Sourcetree.

Associate
Oh OK. Might have to take another look. SourceTree sort of does it but it's horrendously slow which is a shame.

I love command line stuff for nearly everything but for source control I find it doesn't t fit well with my works tyle, it would be far too fiddly. I guess I'm the problem :p

We use Git with BitBucket; we have VS Online subscriptions, but use it for work management rather than source control due to the web interface being infinitely better on BitBucket.

I've found SourceTree slow and clunky on Windows, but it's perfect in OSX. When developing in Windows it's command-line Git only for me.

Associate
We use Git with BitBucket; we have VS Online subscriptions, but use it for work management rather than source control due to the web interface being infinitely better on BitBucket.

I've found SourceTree slow and clunky on Windows, but it's perfect in OSX. When developing in Windows it's command-line Git only for me.

+1 for Git with Bitbucket

Back
Top Bottom