Parking Charge Notice actions... (Euro Car parks)

Soldato
So,
I paid for 12 hours when i wanted 24 hrs.
For example:-
display ticket showed 02:20 with no AM/PM indication which made my misunderstanding. basically, i overstayed 12hrs

Anyway, I now have a "Parking Charge Notice" for the breach of "vehicle parked with an expired Pay and Display Ticket"

I did some reading but they all seem to be regarding bad pricing or terms display on the compound.

My question is:-
Should I pay up if its for the fact that I had not paid for the stay I was going to make?

I am planning to use this car park every weekend from now, and i dont want there to be any difficulties in the future parking there in the future.
Or should i ignore like all the sites say.

Many thanks in advance !! sorry for the boring topic again

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yeah, it was a 24hr display which didnt clock to me at the time.. (i must have been tired!)

but the car park has 2 rates, ones for week days and a cheaper rate for weekends.
I was parking on Friday afternoon, and kept putting money in till i saw parking till Saturday afternoon. However what i had bought was 12 hrs before this.

Man of Honour
02:20 will never have an am or pm designation because it doesn't need one.

I'm not sure I see the point here. You overstayed for 12 hours. Its hardly a case of getting screwed by crap signs or being 10 minutes too long in a free car park. You parked in a paid car park and stayed for 12 hours past the expiry :confused:

Surely 'pay' is the answer here :p

Soldato
At the end of the day if it's from a private company it's an invoice, not a fine. So it can't be enforced like a fine.

If you just ignore it they won't be able to chase you and force you to pay like councils can.

Last edited:

Sui

Sui

Soldato
At the end of the day if it's from a private company it's an invoice, not a fine. So it can't be enforced like a fine.

If you just ignore it they won't be able to chase you and force you to pay like councils can.

Don't take this advice, rules have changed.

Soldato
Well there is the other one. That if you name a driver, they have to chase them instead of the keeper. Got any friends on the other side of the world? :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29470342 said:
02:20 will never have an am or pm designation because it doesn't need one.

I'm not sure I see the point here. You overstayed for 12 hours. Its hardly a case of getting screwed by crap signs or being 10 minutes too long in a free car park. You parked in a paid car park and stayed for 12 hours past the expiry :confused:

Surely 'pay' is the answer here :p

Indeed.

Sometimes we ****-up and just have to take it on the chin.

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the posts so far on what is one of the most boring thread topic!

I had a really good read up on another forum last night, and it seems the option of ignoring is no longer a good one.

Appealing and chancing seems to be a good way to go but seems like a little hassle and you need to have so so good case to move forward.

Paying just seems like the easiest option but having the narrow chance of not paying by appealing on the grounds of unclear signage etc seems like the logical route (based upon the reading of experience of others)

I will ponder further, i still have time :)

EDIT:

I think that the description is unclear about the fact that you must pay for 24 hrs worth of weekday rate if you purchase on a weekday even though the charge lapses on to a weekend which is cheaper.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think it's a fair argument. Use of the 24 hour clock is not standard in the UK.

02:20 is a 24 hour time. It's that simple.

There is only one 02:20.

if it says 02:20, it means 2am. It cannot mean anything else.

As for it not being 'standard' I cannot remember ever using any form of parking meter that wasn't in 24 hour clock.

Soldato
Uh oh, what happens now then? I ignored one little while ago...

Clamping was made illegal but parking tickets are more enforceable. You need to find out who issued the ticket and how to appeal it. There's a time limit on the appeal, so ignoring it is a bad idea but that doesn't mean you can't appeal and still win.

The first appeal goes to the company issuing the ticket, they will likely flat out deny your appeal as most people believe they have the final say and will just pay up. This isn't true, they will send you a POPLA code so you can escalate the appeal with POPLA, who will then decide on the evidence you and the parking company provide. In my case Parking Eye didn't even defend them selves when I escalated it to POPLA.

The Parking company will send you all the details you need to escalate to POPLA and you can find online templates for responses to both appeals.

Associate
Also binned a reminder and do not know the name of the company so unsure how I would go about appealing. I assume I would be contacted again before it got too serious?

Back
Top Bottom