windows 7. Is there still free upgrade to windows 10?

Associate
I am sorting a work mates pc out (his home pc)
I have got a windows 7 disc ready to put on it.
Is the free upgrade still in operation to get windows 7 to windows 10?

Caporegime
No need to use the 7 disk either. Download the 10 ISO or USB image, skip the point where it asks for a key, and then once your in Windows it will take the 7 key straight into the activation screen.

Soldato
Does that mean no need to upgrade from 7 to 7sp1 first to get the invitation ...just (wash) back up everything and go with clean install ? I had not realised it could be that simple [other threads on Overclockers have made it much more complicated]
..... just to make sure I have not misunderstood

In case you have any advice - Is there any possibility for an intermediate dual boot scenario whilst you optimise and set up the windows 10 environment

Caporegime
Originally you had to go through the process of upgrading from 7 or 8.1, but the updated ISO/USB image they released in November allows you to put a 7 or 8.1 key directly into a clean W10 install.

Soldato
I literally did this a few weeks back with my (retail boxed) Win7 copy.

Not sure which image Skeeter is referring to, but I had trouble getting it to allow me to claim the Win10 upgrade.

Attempted the straight fresh install using Win10 ISO and my Win7 key, but it wouldn't work. What I had read at the time was I could only use the upgrade process via the Win7 updates and Win10 installer.

Finally I had to do a fresh install, install the SP1 update. Then from there I was having issues with Windows 7 Update not listing available/missing updates. Found a fix for that which basically was to disconnect from the network, install a couple updates offline then restart the machine, reconnect to the net and Windows Update worked.

At that stage I was able to use the Win10 upgrade tool for Windows.

Soldato
Did the free upgrade this morning from Windows 8.1 and it works perfectly. 100% free.

I think the method of doing a 'full' install has changed as before you had to upgrade first before doing a full install. It would not let you do a full install of Win10 until you done the upgrade, not sure why but it may have had something to do with the product keys as now when you get the upgrade you dont get a product key. Instead Win10 is activated with a 'digital entitlement'.

However, before upgrading this morning I researched the process on the net and everywhere said you do not need a product key when doing a full install, you can just click 'Next' on the product key page and leave it blank.

I found this not to be the case when I did it, I still had to put in my Window 8.1 product key for it to proceed. The 'Next' button was greyed out unless I filled the product key box with a valid serial number. Microsoft implemented this method so that you can use your old Windows 7/8 product key but when people say you do not need a product key to do a full install is not true. You need to have your Windows 7/8 product key to hand or you are stuck on the install screen.

I think the download for Win10 was about 3gb, copy the ISO to a DVD or copy the setup file to a USB key. Either way, the setup app will guide you through the process.

Soldato
I think the method of doing a 'full' install has changed as before you had to upgrade first before doing a full install. It would not let you do a full install of Win10 until you done the upgrade, not sure why but it may have had something to do with the product keys as now when you get the upgrade you dont get a product key. Instead Win10 is activated with a 'digital entitlement'.

You have been able to do a clean install since the November update.

Soldato
A little off topic, but when I installed windows 10 on my new build recently I didn't enter my win7 key as I was still using it in my old computer. I continued using it like this for few days untill I moved some of old components to the new computer and then transferred the win7 key. Everything activated perfectly fine, but was wondering to myself, how long could I have used it in an unactivated state? Ther wasn't any time limit or anything, nor any reduced functionality I could notice.

Soldato
Am still on the fence about installing this on my laptop! Don't really need the new directx etc as it only has a nvs 4200m so cs:s and cs:go are about its limits!

Any major reason to get it installed or should I just leave it in the knowledge they'll support 7 for another four years!?

Caporegime
A little off topic, but when I installed windows 10 on my new build recently I didn't enter my win7 key as I was still using it in my old computer. I continued using it like this for few days untill I moved some of old components to the new computer and then transferred the win7 key. Everything activated perfectly fine, but was wondering to myself, how long could I have used it in an unactivated state? Ther wasn't any time limit or anything, nor any reduced functionality I could notice.

It goes for about a week before it starts pestering you. First off it sticks a watermark on the desktop, but eventually I think it stops you logging in.

Back
Top Bottom