Anyone miss the area they moved from?

Soldato
Although I was born in Lancashire, most of my youth was spent in Spalding in Lincolnshire. A small market, and food manufacturing town in the middle of seemingly nowhere.

When I went to left after University I was so eager to leave the place, and although I have now spent the best part of 20 years away from the town and in various places within and outside of the UK I still have a yearning to go 'home'.

My goal is to retire in Queensland, but if my children return to the UK to go to University, me and the missus will probably move back there first. Spalding would be my preferred destination.

The town is far from awesome, but like an old pair of shoes, there is something very comforting about it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Not really, Just moved from Nottingham to Derby (was tired of the 1.5hr commute home) and still finding my feet. Nottingham has a little more vibrancy to it and the council are not a bunch of complete of *****.

Before they lived travelled the world and live in many places. Quite miss sleepy Suffolk of all of them, oh and Germany, Canada was awesome came back for a woman and split 8 months later.

But where-ever i lay my bobble hat is my home.

Man of Honour
Ignoring the people there are just a few things I miss, nothing major. In fact rather than missing things, it is more like, when I'm back there I like some of the familiarity, rather than missing it when I'm away, if that makes sense? For example, there is a major landmark in my hometown that is visible from miles away, so when you approach the city via a certain road you see it rising up and it just creates a nice feeling, like a big sign saying welcome home. But I don't mooch about wishing I was back there.

This also applies to other 'familiar' areas even if I haven't lived there. For example when I approach the Holloway Road in London, which I am very familiar with from attending football matches, my walk just feels a bit more at ease, like I'm back on home turf, even though I haven't actually lived there just been there many times.

Associate
I wish I never left the south but I could never go back. The place has changed so much in the 27 years I have been gone.

That was my instinctive reaction, though after more than 27 years.

But then I got to wondering .... how much was it the place that had changed, and how much was it me that had changed?

Partly it's the place, for sure. Everywhere's changed over several decades. But I suspect the places I was born and raised have changed at much the same rate and in the same way over the whole country. I suspect mainly it's me that's changed.

Well to be honest and without trying to ruffle any feathers on here, the place is just full of foreigner's who have no interest in integration at all.
And yes partly it is me, the pace of living down there and my pace these days are worlds apart in a way I can't explain.

Still, I have good memories I suppose ;)

Associate
I was born in Birmingham aha :D but moved to redditch after a short period of time living in birmingham. I miss redditch a lot when I moved to Droitwich :( made good memories back then

Soldato
OP
Does the 78 in your name refer to the year of your birth? If so that would make you 38 - more than old enough to start your own life wherever you damn well want. So what's stopping you?

That is in my other thread that got shut down, I so would move back if I could, but I am disabled & can't live on my own... :( Yes, I was born in 78...

Soldato
Spent 40 years in my home town of Southend on sea,moved to Ipswich 8 years ago and would never move back home,I can't even stand going back there now,I have been 3x this year for a wedding ect,next year not going at all and it will stay that way :)

Soldato
Home. Been away so long I don't even remember it anymore. Not had that 'I'm Home' feeling forever. Guess you can't miss what you don't know/remember.

Since my early 20s I've always lived a transient lifestyle and it suits me perfectly fine. Most recently a 3 year stint in Christchurch, NZ. Moving to Wellington, NZ in a month's time and I would expect that to last about the same amount of time. Who knows after that.

I've always joked and said that when I die one day, I want my ashes scattered on every single continent with a small wooden cross whereever it's scattered with just my first name and D.O.B with a slogan 'This was probably Home one time or another in his lifetime'. Or something like that.

But to keep to the topic, no, don't miss it at all.

Man of Honour
No - Oxford and the surrounding area is the cultural dregs. A whole populace of daily mail reading, heart fm listening, middle of the road, 2.2 children, new money but no class, misery. I never ever want to live there again.

If it was a shop it would be Debenhams.

Soldato
No - Oxford and the surrounding area is the cultural dregs. A whole populace of daily mail reading, heart fm listening, middle of the road, 2.2 children, new money but no class, misery. I never ever want to live there again.

new money = a lot of debt

Soldato

Outside the university, isn't it pretty much the boonies? Although in fairness, people who ended in Cambridge and had the pleasure of comparing the two, commented that Oxford was a bit more lively as a city. Always wondered how true that actually is.

Soldato
Outside the university, isn't it pretty much the boonies? Although in fairness, people who ended in Cambridge and had the pleasure of comparing the two, commented that Oxford was a bit more lively as a city. Always wondered how true that actually is.

I've always liked Oxford. Lived fairly close to it for a while and never really saw the complaints people had for it.

Man of Honour

It is lively I suppose if you love the idea of slug and lettuce followed by a chain bar followed by an overpriced / grotty chart playing club where everyone is paying the bogtroll for Dior ("innevitable"). That's not really fair I suppose I've had many good night outs there - shark end :D

Actually a lot of good friends and good people live there so I overstate the mindset of the populace - but the whole place is so stale and everything is just so... mainstream. Impossibly predictable and obvious, no surprises, boring.

I do hope the new westgate will spice up the city centre when it's built :)

Back
Top Bottom