**** The Official Note 4 thread ****

Caporegime
Just installed Dr Ketan's N5 6.0.1 port, haven't bricked it which is always a relief.

EDIT - DPI change a MM thing? Everything feels bigger lol. No issues *so far*.

EDIT 2 - settled in a little now and it does feel smoother and more snappy. I haven't installed Apex yet though but the Samsung launcher isn't too shabby. The Edge features from the N5 work fine but need to get the pro version of Dr Ketan to enable the people edge. The infamous recent tasks is also smooth. Plenty more to play with and very keen to see what the battery is like, as my recently purchased Samsung battery didn't seem to make much difference with my last LP ROM.

Last edited:
Soldato
I check on a virtual daily basis & still nothing :rolleyes:
In other news, I think my battery is starting to play up. Seems to be discharging much quicker than a few months ago.
Nothing out of the ordinary running from what I can see but I struggle to 30 hours out of it these days.

Anywhere decent to get a replacement battery that doesn't cost a fortune?

Caporegime
Please tell me there is a way to turn off these annoying app permission notifications? I don't need to be asked every time I plug my phone into my PC :p

Associate
I gave up waiting and installed the German image yesterday

So far...all looks good. Only issue I have is that the Lock Screen wallpaper keeps changing from what I have set it to. Mildly annoying but not the end of the world.

Seems a bit snappier overall, but that just may be the initial 'Oooooo...its new....' syndrome.

Not seen that TW looks like as am still running Nova and have no desire to change away from it for the foreseable future.

Soldato
Well, mines in the service center for 'testing', now. Took it in saturday, they tried to suggest that i should have kept the original battery when it failed out of wartranty two months ago. Clearly i wasnt going to keep it, and because i replaced it with a anker battery they'll need to do more 'testing'. sigh.

Soldato
Just received Marshmallow (Vodafone uk) Update. Very nice and snappy. Only downside is my APW bookmark widget don't work. Still finally upto date until Android N anyway

Soldato
Got my phone back today....minus the sim and 64gb sandisk card that was in it....

I took my phone in to samsung in Milton Keynes on saturday. At first they weren't sure about the phone as it had a third party battery (the original failed at 13 months) and german firmware on it (official, was the only way to get 5.1.1 at the time..). But they eventually took it in. They were busy, which is fair enough it was a Saturday after all, but gave the german firmware as an excuse not to test it that day. The girl told me quite clearly that they would have to reflash the correct firmware before they can test it, again, fine, it was busy.

When they took the phone, they took the sim and my 64gb memory card.I questioned this at the time but i was told it was fine. so OK.

Fast forward a bit and yesterday i get the email to say its fixed. YEY. So i visited the samsung store today to pick it up, only the find the sim and card missing. The guy i dealt with said he'd seen the card when it was being repaired. it was a 64gb sandisk Sandisk ultra, so red and grey - quite distinctive. He then heads ouyt back to speak to somebody and comes back out saying "you're not going to like this, but they've been disposed of".

REALLY? YOU THREW THEM AWAY?

Then he proceeds to point to the small print stating they are not responsible for sims or cards left in the phones. FFS. I asked for them back when i handed them phone over and was told it was fine and at no point was i shown this small print OR advised that they cant take them. Anyway he himself was quite helpful so it was hard to be mad with him. He's given me the number of head office and their branch code, so im going to ring them and see what i can do.

So, at this point the phone is fixed. It needed a new mainboard as expected and a new charging board as well - didnt expect that but it could have been damaged when they took the screen off. but, i have no sim and no memory card. The card can wait - everything is backed up so ive lost nothing but the card itself but it is the principal, here, so i will deal with that. The immediate problem was having no sim so i had to go visit the three store in the hopes that they could provide another for me. They could, luckily, and my sim was registered and up and running as soon as i inserted it and turned the phone on so at least i have a working phone. Great service from Three. Samsung/carphone warehouse...not so much.

so that's where i am. Oh and they didnt reflash the right firmware on the phone, apparently they arent even allowed to do that. So the girl i dealt with on saturday wasnt right about that either.

Associate
Managed to badly crack the glass on the front of my note 4 although the digitizer is still working. Wondering if is worth just selling it as is but it looks like very little has happened since the note 4 was released.

Really can't see anything on the market that is a worth replacing it with.

Back
Top Bottom