ASUS X99 MOTHERBOARDS FOR BROADWELL-E UNVEILED

Soldato
Wonder why the new boards? As far as I am aware most of the X99 motherboards including the Asus X99-E WS support Broadwell-E with a BIOS update..

They are technically 'refresh' rather than 'new', because as you say the existing X99 boards will run Broadwell-E just as well with a BIOS update. They've just updated a few extra bits and bobs here and there to make them more 'current' (RGB for example on the Strix). No different to how they do with cars through their life-cycle, refresh the design language etc. but the underpinnings remain unchanged, not entirely new models with all new tech.

Associate
They are technically 'refresh' rather than 'new', because as you say the existing X99 boards will run Broadwell-E just as well with a BIOS update. They've just updated a few extra bits and bobs here and there to make them more 'current' (RGB for example on the Strix). No different to how they do with cars through their life-cycle, refresh the design language etc. but the underpinnings remain unchanged, not entirely new models with all new tech.

The extra bits and bobs can also mean things like updated ports: USB3.1 and U.2

As for U.2 are there actually any consumer devices that uses it atm?

Soldato
Wonder why the new boards? As far as I am aware most of the X99 motherboards including the Asus X99-E WS support Broadwell-E with a BIOS update..

Because Asus need a reason to stop supporting the existing boards just so they can sell new crud.

Will never buy Asus again - The Rampage IV Black Edition X79 board was left with a beta BIOS and abandoned a la "Asus" stylee.

Soldato
Because Asus need a reason to stop supporting the existing boards just so they can sell new crud.

Will never buy Asus again - The Rampage IV Black Edition X79 board was left with a beta BIOS and abandoned a la "Asus" stylee.

Gigabyte no better IMO, found that out with a Z77-UD5H although it's a fine stable motherboard but Win8 support was done in a beta which never made it through to final release which is odd. Their beta's also seem to have no real pattern - seemingly random and poor version control but just my opinon, I'm hopeful they knew what they were doing.

Soldato
The new Rampage Broadwell-E mobo was leaked and shown on facebook, Looks bleedin horrible, Tacky cheap city here we come :(

If the orange can be changed then ok but orange and black is not ROG, ROG is now dead.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Is the Rampage going to be the MB of choice for the Broadwell-E platform? Or are other boards recommended? As I am going with ether i7-6900K or i7-6850K with some mild overclocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the orange can be changed then ok but orange and black is not ROG, ROG is now dead.
Inconceivable that the orange on that ROG won't be changeable, it's just what they've chosen to display with the LED's. Asus aren't that stupid... are they?! That's going to be one expensive board though.

Is the Rampage going to be the MB of choice for the Broadwell-E platform? Or are other boards recommended? As I am going with ether i7-6900K or i7-6850K with some mild overclocking.
I don't think it matters what board you get, even older X99 boards with BIOS update, they'll all handle Broadwell-E well and OC much of a muchness between them especially at the 'mild' level, it really won't matter, so just go with whichever one you like best and has the best features to suit your needs. The Rampage isn't 'the best' necessarily (depends on your definition), but it will probably be one of the most feature packed... but that's a waste of money if you don't need it.

Associate

I was waiting for the new boards but then I saw the offerings above and decided that they were a bit too tacky for my tastes. I went with the MSI Godlike Carbon.

EDIT: A 6900k or 6850k doesn't need you to buy a £400+ board though!

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think it matters what board you get, even older X99 boards with BIOS update, they'll all handle Broadwell-E well and OC much of a muchness between them especially at the 'mild' level, it really won't matter, so just go with whichever one you like best and has the best features to suit your needs. The Rampage isn't 'the best' necessarily (depends on your definition), but it will probably be one of the most feature packed... but that's a waste of money if you don't need it.

This is very true, buy which one you like the look of and has the features you need/want.

Cheers
Ben

Back
Top Bottom