BBC license fee proposals...

Soldato
This is a very common mistake people make. You are required to own a TV licence even if you don't watch the BBC. Sky, Virgin, BT, Freeview or Freesat all require it.

But isn't that because BBC content is available on those formats, and you can hardly prove you just don't turn to channel 101 on Sky?

Soldato
They should make BBC channels and iplayer require a log in linked with a license number and scrap the idea of requiring a fee for radio content. This way we wont have all the 'The BBC is ****, i dont watch it but need a license for the TV anyway'.

As far as i am concerned, the fee is frozen if it is only going up by inflation and i think it is fair. If you cannot afford a license between the people in your household, then i think you have bigger fish to fry rather than the injustice of having to pay a license!

I dont watch TV much any more, everything i watch is streamed content from other providers and i happily pay for that.

Soldato
But isn't that because BBC content is available on those formats, and you can hardly prove you just don't turn to channel 101 on Sky?

No, it's for any "live TV".

It's about time iplayer was restricted. I'll happily continue to pay the licence fee. My only concern is the government appointments to the board.

Associate
This is a very common mistake people make. You are required to own a TV licence even if you don't watch the BBC. Sky, Virgin, BT, Freeview or Freesat all require it.

If you don't pay, you are limited to Netflix or Amazon prime.

I believe the exception is Now TV which still requires it.

Now TV doesn't require a licence either. Currently the licence is for LIVE TV only, so whilst Now TV does have the ability to watch some live TV, if you don't watch that part of the service then you don't need a licence. It's up to TV Licensing to prove that you do.

I phoned them last year when we ditched our Sky satellite package and moved to Now TV, Netflix etc. and they confirmed over the phone.

Very rare we watch anything on iplayer so we'll just ditch that as well when these new changes come into effect.

Soldato
Nothings really changed has it?

Only difference seems to be that you'll need a licence to watch iplayer which seems fair enough, the content isn't free to make and there are other ways of watching it if you are that way inclined.
I have to agree. Its like going down the doctors and having a barney at them for not having yesterdays beano.

My PS4 can receive live BBC television, I don't pay for a licence.

But you should be paying for one under the TV licensing rules.

That's not the rules. It would only apply if he uses it to watch live TV or now catch up. Owning something that is capable of been used to watch TV doesn't mean you have to pay the licence fee.

Soldato
Not that simple, even if you decide to not watch BBC programming, this can neither be proved or disproved leading to all sorts of trouble, i.e. visits from enforcers, letters... you name.

This is nonsense.
I moved into my own place in December, informed them I wont have an ariel or any method to get live streams.

They sent one letter back just saying thanks for informing them and that was it.

6 months later and not a peep out of them.

Soldato
Not sure how you would get the subscription model to work on ordinary televisions? I expect that there is a way but it sounds it may be expensive and probably cumbersome.

I have always thought that the TV license system is annoying but still worth it for the content I do watch, maybe an hour or two per day. Ads are a pain so I tend to record ad funded channels on an HDD recorder and spin through them.

As yet the whole country is not computer savvy and I expect the majority of loud complaint is from the under forties who spend a lot of time at the keyboard. There are many who are quite happy to just watch a television in the corner and can't be ***** to do anything more technical than that.

Man of Honour
My PS4 can receive live BBC television, I don't pay for a licence.

What about for those who don't watch television at all, like myself?

I get that the UK quality is superior to some parts of the world but saying we should be proud of it, and actively contribute is an absurd statement. I'm sure the UK does many things of high quality which I do not contribute to.

Haha, yes, I'm sure it does

I did say people should contribute if they watch, so not too sure what your point is.

Soldato
That's not the rules. It would only apply if he uses it to watch live TV or now catch up. Owning something that is capable of been used to watch TV doesn't mean you have to pay the licence fee.

That was my understanding.

Haha, yes, I'm sure it does

I did say people should contribute if they watch, so not too sure what your point is.

You claimed the BBC should be treated as an institute that we should do our "utmost to maintain". My point therefore is that some of us aren't fussed about maintaining it, by virtue of not using it.

Back
Top Bottom