HTC Vive

Soldato
I do get motion sick playing it lol

I tried taking a couple of off the shelf travel sickness pills the other day an hour before playing, allowed me to play pCars with no issues for the first time for a good hour or so. By no means a recommendation to anyone else as it classifies as taking medication which isn't allowed here, but it worked for me. I did feel like **** the following day though as the drowsiness kicked in :o

For anyone using Revive to play Oculus titles, there is a new release which integrates directly with Steam VR so you can browse/launch the games via the VR dashboard :cool:

Associate
I updated my controller firmware, now every time in the steam overlay, it gives me a warning the "controllers are not compatible", I continue anyway and everything is fine.

Whats really bugging me, is it takes multiple "clicks" on the controller for it to register and enter a game. I press the trigger and a mouse icon briefly appears, I need to repeatedly press the button for it to seemingly register as a click and execute the game. This only happens in the steam overlay (games that use the trigger are fine) and only happened when I updated the firmware.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Associate
I updated my controller firmware, now every time in the steam overlay, it gives me a warning the "controllers are not compatible", I continue anyway and everything is fine.

Whats really bugging me, is it takes multiple "clicks" on the controller for it to register and enter a game. I press the trigger and a mouse icon briefly appears, I need to repeatedly press the button for it to seemingly register as a click and execute the game. This only happens in the steam overlay (games that use the trigger are fine) and only happened when I updated the firmware.

I haven't experienced this but have you tried running the SteamVR Beta branch see if they have fixed it?

Associate

Do you have a hotas or wheel plugged into your pc as well? I had this issue and it was my x52, it was registering as a controller and one of the knobs or wheels must not have been set to zero. Unplugged it and it was fine again. I just plug it in again before playing Elite now.

Associate
Do you have a hotas or wheel plugged into your pc as well? I had this issue and it was my x52, it was registering as a controller and one of the knobs or wheels must not have been set to zero. Unplugged it and it was fine again. I just plug it in again before playing Elite now.

that was it buddy, thanks!

Soldato
My controller issues seem to have stopped for now, since I switched from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 port - not sure why, I would have thought USB 3 was better!? Anyway I'll keep an eye on it, but it hasn't happened now at all in the last few days. Will monitor.

Just got Universe Sandbox and I love it. There is something spectacularly about smashing planets and stars into each other. I was just standing there staring at this solar system that I had created with galactic explosions going off all around. Awesome stuff.

Soldato
Just got Universe Sandbox and I love it. There is something spectacularly about smashing planets and stars into each other. I was just standing there staring at this solar system that I had created with galactic explosions going off all around. Awesome stuff.

I wanted that, but I feel reluctant to pay some of the prices going for the experiences on offer - is it really worth the price?

Associate
I wanted that, but I feel reluctant to pay some of the prices going for the experiences on offer - is it really worth the price?

I really enjoy it, very relaxing, just set a few planets and watch them go around listening to some nice music. Then if you get fed up just launch some planets into other ones or place a sun nearby and burn it all :)

Associate
My controller issues seem to have stopped for now, since I switched from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 port - not sure why, I would have thought USB 3 was better!? Anyway I'll keep an eye on it, but it hasn't happened now at all in the last few days. Will monitor.

Bizarrely, my vive and controllers worked fine on USB 3 for at least 2 weeks without any problems, then I started getting more and more tracking problems. Eventually tried USB 2 and it's now working 100% again. Very odd!

agt

agt

Associate
Portal stories VR

Too short, but amazing and really shows why room scale is just a whole new kind of gaming that makes playing with controller / M+KB feel basic

The brain is fooled so easily

They definitely should make a full portal game like this

Soldato
So I received mine yesterday. Build quality is great, set up was fairly involved and by the end of the evening I had tweaked my set up to be more comfortable/track better etc.

I have one dead pixel in the middle of the right eye, very disappointing but once immersed in VR you do not notice it.

In terms of the experience, I am very pleased that I don't notice any of the screendoor effect/god rays etc that people moan about. I have the min required space for roomscale and to be honest, it's too small. Once you raise you arm, you are already triggering the chaperone boundaries which kills the experience. I really need a bigger space to test out roomscale properly as it's just incredible when you are immersed.

I've seen all the videos and thought I wouldn't like the basic lab games like archery, but after picking up the bow I was hooked. The tracking is a game changer for me, it creates this new bond with the games/experiences.

Last thing I have time to try (only had a few hours after setting up) was Audioshield. It's out of this world when you realise the shields are tracking to your hands/arms so well. I felt like a gladiator playing to workout music. I can only describe it as boxercise but with style and you are made to feel epic. I am fairly fit as I'm normally out running/at the gym, but left the 6minute song a little out of breath...

I have a full night tonight to hit up some of the games and then I'm going to bring it to work and set up a full room for it.

Associate
If you go in the Steam VR settings (while in VR) you can change the chaperone boundaries to developer mode which is better if you are using the minimum area.

It basically just shows them on the floor so it's not as obvious when you set them off.

Soldato
If you go in the Steam VR settings (while in VR) you can change the chaperone boundaries to developer mode which is better if you are using the minimum area.

It basically just shows them on the floor so it's not as obvious when you set them off.

Thanks, will have a play tonight! I will have to move my desk cactus :D

Back
Top Bottom