Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Man of Honour
I personally dont notice any difference between my note 4 and fiio e6 compared to creative zxr with headphone amp on my hd600, I think the whole amp thing for hd600/650 is massively overblown

Have to disagree - while I'm far far far from an expert I've spent a massive amount of time and no shortage of money (literally spent more than the price of a pair of Schiit Ragnaroks) experimenting with building many different solid state amp designs and seen a huge range of performance out of my HD-600s.

IKR :D I just think anything non usb powered with some decent slam

If it is well designed and designed to use 500+ma from a USB source then you can get a fair bit of power out of a USB(5V) powered amp.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So 2 grand is the minimum you need to spend for any improvement?

No, otherwise I'd own something else...;)

You have listed to entry level sources and said you can't hear a difference, then you doubt the 650 scales as much as people say. Try them on a resolving DAC/AMP

Last edited:
Associate
No, otherwise I'd own something else...;)

You have listed to entry level sources and said you can't hear a difference, then you doubt the 650 scales as much as people say. Try them on a resolving DAC/AMP

that wasnt what you said though, you didnt say spend a couple of hundred on a schit stack and see noticeable improvement, you said 2 grand.

Associate
OP
that wasnt what you said though, you didnt say spend a couple of hundred on a schit stack and see noticeable improvement, you said 2 grand.

I'm well aware of what I said and if you see towards the end of my comment I used it as an example of scaling. Not once did I say you need to spend 2K to get better performance..

Last edited:
Soldato
fiio e6 works fine, as does my zxr, had a asus stx before and that sounded no different either.

If you can't hear a difference then that's great, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Most people would however disagree. Mine sound decent through my FiiO E10k, better through my STX and Aune T1 and better again through my Schiits.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Depends on your budget. A small Schit stack would be perfect and very good value for money. I use a NAD D 7050 and it's got more than enough quality for these, although I got it to be able to drive my speakers more efficiently mostly.

Also totally depends on the sound you're happy with. I can't get away from the smooth and detailed NAD sound, so I'm stuck with NAD amps forever :p

Associate
OP
Depends on your budget. A small Schit stack would be perfect and very good value for money. I use a NAD D 7050 and it's got more than enough quality for these, although I got it to be able to drive my speakers more efficiently mostly.

Also totally depends on the sound you're happy with. I can't get away from the smooth and detailed NAD sound, so I'm stuck with NAD amps forever :p

I'm like that with the Chord Mojo. There's much better products than the Mojo but there's something about the sound that makes it more enjoyable over an increase in technically performance.

Associate
OP
Had one of them nights last nights. Lights off, nice hot tea and some HD650's with some female vocals. The Liquidity of the 650 is amazing, the way the voices are free from grain and flow naturally with no recession. The 650 has the most natural decay I've heard I think.

Soldato
I lasted a whole month without using my HD650s but decided to remedy that with the release of the new Eric Clapton album. I was surprised that there was no adjustment needed due to the different signatures but everything sounded perfect as soon as I hit go. The HD650s are a perfect fit for Clapton's lazy, laid back sound, though there is a ton of micro-detail there if you listen for it. Ahhhhh, happy ears :D

I used my Sony MDR-100AAPs exclusively for a whole month and they really do sound great for the £100 I paid for them. They won't be relegated to the subs bench now that my HD650s are back on my head, they will be in regular rotation and will definitely take precedence when an album calls for more bass as they certainly spank the Senns in that department.

C64

C64

Soldato
Had one of them nights last nights. Lights off, nice hot tea and some HD650's with some female vocals. The Liquidity of the 650 is amazing, the way the voices are free from grain and flow naturally with no recession. The 650 has the most natural decay I've heard I think.

I get it I'd say my x1 sound dry really bassy but an almost wooden like dryness compared to the 650

Back
Top Bottom