*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Same here. They've all come with PoE injectors.

Ring them up, becuase we got a batch with euro clover power adapters in some and they just sent out some UK clover ones. They might oblige with the injectors.

Man of Honour
thanks for all the advise guys, muchious helpful!

So you need to either use the supplied injector, buy their poe in-line converter (limited to 100Mbps on current model)

If they come with thats perfect - the supplied injector doesn't limit speed?

And i'll be running cable through & outside the house so will probably have to do the terminations myself... been a good few years since i wielded a RJ45 tool but i'm sure its like riding a bike :) I'm guessing its best to do so without the poe injector turned on ;)

Soldato
Same here. They've all come with PoE injectors.

Ring them up, becuase we got a batch with euro clover power adapters in some and they just sent out some UK clover ones. They might oblige with the injectors.

Phone call made, injectors are on their way. Cheers guys.

This lot came with euro power cables (I should have realised that it was odd to sent power cables but not injectors) which was very handy as these AP's are off to Sweden.

Soldato
Anyone got any pictures of how they have mounted there's? Really interested in one of these but dont really want to gut a whole in my ceiling to mount them just to be able to hide the network cable

Soldato
I quite literally have mine placed on top of something - like I would place a BT Homehub or similar for example.
Can be wall or ceiling mounted (kit in the box) if you so desire - but not a necessity.

Soldato
I quite literally have mine placed on top of something - like I would place a BT Homehub or similar for example.
Can be wall or ceiling mounted (kit in the box) if you so desire - but not a necessity.

this - mine is attached to the inside wall of a cupboard - i would try and get a picture but where it's mounted I don't think i could get a picture!!:p:p

Soldato
Anyone got any pictures of how they have mounted there's? Really interested in one of these but dont really want to gut a whole in my ceiling to mount them just to be able to hide the network cable

They don't cause much damage, no more than a linked smoke alarm does.

This is one of those times it is worth making your own cables. If you've got the kit to crimp a plug on you only need a tiny hole for the cable.

Associate
How many are people buying for a typical house, just the 1 ?

I just ordered a pro, will see how that goes but already in my mind id love 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs and 1 external garden/external garage.... am i thinking too much :)

Soldato
Yeah, 1 will probably be enough. I've got 2 of the LR's because my study and one of the bedrooms are on the other side of what was an external wall so in the bedroom in particular the signal wasn't great.

Associate
I have a 3 tier house kitchen on the ground floor lounge on the middle floor and bedrooms on the top was think about mounting one of these in the loft do you think it would give me the required signal all around the house? I have CAT6 in the loft as the house is all networked up.

Associate
I purchased one of these yesterday and I've just set it up this morning. Thought it was time to replace my virgin media superhub ac2 with the AC LR and pfsense.

Nice UI and design, however performance wise the range isnt as good as my virgin media, and speed is about the same with iperf test as my superhub. Out of interest how are you guys finding the speed/range? I do want to setup multiple AP zones in the future,however only option is to powerline them which isnt great as thats only giving me 50mbps on the av500 series.

Soldato
I purchased one of these yesterday and I've just set it up this morning. Thought it was time to replace my virgin media superhub ac2 with the AC LR and pfsense.

Nice UI and design, however performance wise the range isnt as good as my virgin media, and speed is about the same with iperf test as my superhub. Out of interest how are you guys finding the speed/range? I do want to setup multiple AP zones in the future,however only option is to powerline them which isnt great as thats only giving me 50mbps on the av500 series.

Which model did you buy ? I've been lurking on this thread for a while wondering whether to pull the trigger. I'm on virgin too and had been thinking the range and throughput would improve by moving to one of these instead of the SH2 wireless.

Soldato
Out of interest how are you guys finding the speed/range?

Sorry to hear its not performing as well as you'd hoped. Are you in a particularly congested area? The controller software has a neat feature that shows you all the other APs in the area fighting for the airwaves. I forget where exactly but its got a cool label in the UI like 'Rogue networks' or something.

I've got two examples in different locations installed.

At home I have an AP-AC-LR that is in my loft and gives me enough range to be about 80m away at the bottom of the garden and still receive a good signal. That has a breeze block wall and the roof to go through to get there but is in a rural location so not much wifi congestion.

At work we have an AP-AC-Pro that will still give a usable signal four floors down and that is in a heavily congested area where a Virgin superhub and Draytek had failed previously.

What I can't comment on is speed though as my internet is so slow that maxing out my 8Mbit connection at home isn't exactly hard and I've not had reason to test at work.

Back
Top Bottom