• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION: WANNA PRE-ORDER?

Caporegime
This article was written in 2008.

"First was the nVidia 8800 GT that, although a bit expensive to truly call midrange at £150-£180, offered massive performance for a much more realistic price than the 8800 GTS and GTX."

£150 deemed "expensive" for midrange.

Your telling me inflation has been 500% since 2008? no chance. We are getting royally shafted now. Beyond belief.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nVidia-GeForce-9600-GT-review

Yes we are getting our leg lifted a bit but dont forget over 50% of the increase since then is purely down to exchange rates....

But yes, Nvidia seems to have priced the 1080 as top of the range and not mid range.

Which is a shame. But even at midrange accounting for exchange rate and inflation it would still be a £300 to £400 card now.

Soldato
Hi there

I missed a photo opportunity yesterday, but spotted another palette of stock at our goods in area today so grabbed a photo:

IMG_6757.jpg

Then I might by accident grabbed myself a Zotac 1080 !!!! :D

IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

In the flesh the cooler design is far nicer than in photos and just to 100% confirm for those who do not know it does have a backplate. :)

U know u want to let me give u £620 for one of those now!!! Just think 2 days extra intrest on £620. I wont tell anyone promise

Last edited:
Caporegime
This article was written in 2008.

"First was the nVidia 8800 GT that, although a bit expensive to truly call midrange at £150-£180, offered massive performance for a much more realistic price than the 8800 GTS and GTX."

£150 deemed "expensive" for midrange.

Your telling me inflation has been 500% since 2008? no chance. We are getting royally shafted now. Beyond belief.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nVidia-GeForce-9600-GT-review

Not defending it, as Inflation since 2008 would put £180 at £225 now, but there are a few other factors.

Exchange rates were much more favourable back then

May 2008
£1 = $1.98

May 2016
£1 = $1.45

And VAT was only 17.5% and went down in 08/09 to 15% due to the world financial crisis.

Still obvious price gouging from Nvidia, mind.

But then I did buy 2x Titan X's in March 2015 for £840 each so I can't really moan as I was part of the problem :D

OcUK Staff
OP
hmm.. doesnt look like much stock to be honest.. unless you guys have a few more palettes of them.

We have more and more incoming today, tomorrow, Friday and next week. By Friday we should have around 500 units with a further 1000 units due next week and a further 20,000 units by end of June (includes 1070). :)

Soldato
20,000 units of pure FE cards!? I really thought only the "more money than sense" brigade would buy the FE cards, then sell them and buy faster/cooler/quieter Partner cards when they came out.

Caporegime
Just interested to see what third party cooler options (if any) are available on friday and if any will have reviews online on or before 2pm.

Soldato
Not defending it, as Inflation since 2008 would put £180 at £225 now, but there are a few other factors.

Exchange rates were much more favourable back then

May 2008
£1 = $1.98

May 2016
£1 = $1.45

And VAT was only 17.5% and went down in 08/09 to 15% due to the world financial crisis.

Still obvious price gouging from Nvidia, mind.

But then I did buy 2x Titan X's in March 2015 for £840 each so I can't really moan as I was part of the problem :D

Forget about exchange rates and all that. Just look at the dollar price. Midrange card is now $599, back in 2008 the same tier was $250. Rough inflation calculation would put that at around $280 now.

Caporegime
Forget about exchange rates and all that. Just look at the dollar price. Midrange card is now $599, back in 2008 the same tier was $250. Rough inflation calculation would put that at around $280 now.

The 1080 is the fastest GPU money can buy, as such it is a high end card, and this can only be compared to high end GPUs. The 8800GtX was $800 for reference. When the 1080ti and Titan pascal are released the 1080 will be pushed down to mid-range prices, only at that point can you prices to mid-range cards.

Soldato
The 1080 is the fastest GPU money can buy, as such it is a high end card, and this can only be compared to high end GPUs. The 8800GtX was $800 for reference. When the 1080ti and Titan pascal are released the 1080 will be pushed down to mid-range prices, only at that point can you prices to mid-range cards.

LOL sorry, but that's rubbish. It's a mid range part, pure and simple. Stop defending the price with the comparison to a previous high end card.

The comment, we will compare it to the mid range when the high end cards come out is laughable. We know where in the Nvidia stack these cards line up. If this card was called the 1060 nobody would be calling it high end.

Soldato
LOL sorry, but that's rubbish. It's a mid range part, pure and simple. Stop defending the price with the comparison to a previous high end card.

The comment, we will compare it to the mid range when the high end cards come out is laughable. We know where in the Nvidia stack these cards line up. If this card was called the 1060 nobody would be calling it high end.

So if I want to buy the best high end card now friday,not x months time are u saying that's not possible? :D there's no high end card? Tx ti no longer high end so amd or nvidia don't offer high end come friday?

Compared to volta, the next titan wont be high end either then?

Last edited:
Caporegime

Im not defending abythubg, just pointing out basic pricing facts.

The 1080 is currently the highest end graphics card you can buy, in around 9 months there will be a faster 1080ti and 9 months after than a faster 1180. That is technology. What was once the best you can buy soon gets replaced by something faster and better.

The 1080 is the single fastest GPU any hardware vendor can sucesfully comercialy manufacturer with current technology, and will likely remain like that until early 2017. That is the definitial of high end, no one can make anything higher right now.

Back
Top Bottom