Electronic drum kit - Sound dampening

Soldato
I recently purchased an electronic drum kit but with headphones plugged in it's still loud - This is more to do with the sound of the bass pedal travelling through the floor downstairs

I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what did you do to dampen the sound? I'm thinking of maybe putting a thick blanket under the kit but this would make it quite unstable

Soldato
The touch sensitivity would disappear though.
And impossible to play/practice just about every main technique

Nip up your army surplus store (civvy ones are usually too thin) and get some roll-mats/sleeping mats/kip mats/camping mats/whatever they call them.
Just one, if it's only the bass - Should very nicely pad the baseplate* and any other racks, stands or legs you have. can double-layer if needs be.

Basically sheet matresses of closed cell foam. Couple of those will be a good start and cost maybe a couple quid each... Worked for all my kits.

*baseplate - bass, geddit!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And impossible to play/practice just about every main technique

Nip up your army surplus store (civvy ones are usually too thin) and get some roll-mats/sleeping mats/kip mats/camping mats/whatever they call them.
Just one, if it's only the bass - Should very nicely pad the baseplate* and any other racks, stands or legs you have. can double-layer if needs be.

Basically sheet matresses of closed cell foam. Couple of those will be a good start and cost maybe a couple quid each... Worked for all my kits.

*baseplate - bass, geddit!!

Thanks for this mate, closest thing I can find on Amazon is a 'camping foam mat'

Last edited:
Soldato
This is perfect but requires a bit of DIY. It is basically 2 large bits of MDF with 12+ Tennis balls between and it acts as an insulator for noise and absolutely works!

EDrumRackIsolationPlatform-Dimensio_zps8887e0e9.jpg

3380294795_49b2d7206f.jpg

347594d1370130310-silencing-my-e-kit-downstairs-neighbors-11final.jpg

Soldato
OP
If I was able to make one of those I would ! I was actually looking for something similar local to Stoke but couldn't find anything - You'd think people would make them to make money

Man of Honour
All you need is 2 bits of MDF and some tennis balls as drilling holes is only optional, you can just glue the balls to the boards instead.

What is in between the MDF in the bottom picture?
It looks like a sandwich and the balls are underneath.

Drake5, if you get the pieces you can bring them down and I'll cut them to size or you can borrow my circular saw.
Mind you, Meir B&Q will cut them to size for a small fee.

Soldato
The bottom pic is a more "advanced" version with foam between the 2 layers of MDF and sound proofing in the lower box under the tennis balls. The middle pic is the more ghetto version :D

Soldato
OP
What is in between the MDF in the bottom picture?
It looks like a sandwich and the balls are underneath.

Drake5, if you get the pieces you can bring them down and I'll cut them to size or you can borrow my circular saw.
Mind you, Meir B&Q will cut them to size for a small fee.

Thanks for the offer mate I'm just not very good at that sort of stuff in general and I wouldn't really be able to make the tennis ball noise reducer, seems like a lot of work

Last edited:
Soldato
This is perfect but requires a bit of DIY. It is basically 2 large bits of MDF with 12+ Tennis balls between and it acts as an insulator for noise and absolutely works!

EDrumRackIsolationPlatform-Dimensio_zps8887e0e9.jpg

3380294795_49b2d7206f.jpg

347594d1370130310-silencing-my-e-kit-downstairs-neighbors-11final.jpg
I made one of these too for my kit. Weighs a tonne!
Does work well but it does "wobble" a little bit when playing any double kick stuff.

A few things you can do to help without going all DIY crazy - foam faced kick drum beater and if you have a rubber kick drum pad replace it with a mesh pad. Latter option is costly depending on what you get though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom