***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Gread thread!

I used to have a lot of lego when I was younger but haven't yet built a modern kit.

A friend of the family got one of their kids the Arocs (42043) model for Christmas and I was blown away by how big it was and how detailed. I tend to lean more towards technic stuff and like the look of a few kits at the moment.

That said I do also like the look of some of the Star Wars stuff too, but it seems like the decent stuff is all retired and sellers are asking fortunes for it.

Anyway - my reason for posting is to get some advice on whether a £40-£60 kit is worth buying? I can't splurge £150 on some of the more popular kits at the moment. Perhaps further down the line, though :p

My list is limited by my buget, but so far I have these on my short list:

Race Truck (42041)
Arctic Truck (32048)
Poe's X-Wing Fighter (75102)
Ghostbusters Ecto-1 (21108)

Some variation there, but I am definitely leaning more towards the trucks than the themed lego but I am open to suggesions, both in terms of kit ideas and also where to buy. I would like something that is enjoyable and challenging. I accept smaller kits are not going to offer too much in that department but it seems like a good place to start considering I have a limited budget and I haven't built with Lego in something like 28 years! :)

Soldato
Komplett!

IMG_1298.JPG

Associate
Gread thread!
My list is limited by my buget, but so far I have these on my short list:

Race Truck (42041)
Arctic Truck (32048)
Poe's X-Wing Fighter (75102)
Ghostbusters Ecto-1 (21108)

Don't bother with the Race Truck, its a pretty boring build, and I prefer the B model anyway.

http://brickset.com/buy/amazon is an essential link for you.

If you can afford it, the crawler crane (42042) is a great build and is currently down to £75. The Arctic truck is interesting, though a little repetitive.

I actually really like some of the smaller sets - any of the technic motorcycles are great, as is the 42048 Race Kart (working two speed gearbox in a model you can have for under £20 often? Yes please!)

Soldato
I have both of these sets and they are awesome. The Ecto-1 definitely stands out as one of my favorites so far and probably won't be around as long as the new star wars stuff

Don't bother with the Race Truck, its a pretty boring build, and I prefer the B model anyway.

http://brickset.com/buy/amazon is an essential link for you.

If you can afford it, the crawler crane (42042) is a great build and is currently down to £75. The Arctic truck is interesting, though a little repetitive.

I actually really like some of the smaller sets - any of the technic motorcycles are great, as is the 42048 Race Kart (working two speed gearbox in a model you can have for under £20 often? Yes please!)

Thanks for the advice guys. Didn't really want to spend £75 to be honest but the crawler crane is definitely tempting me. It looks the best and most interesting, with the Arctic Truck coming 2nd. For the extra money I think the crawler is worth it as it appears to come with the electrics and motors (but I will need to double check) whereas the Arctic Truck does not.

I will have a think and let you know. Still open to suggestions though! :)

EDIT - it does appear that the crawler crane comes with power functions. However, it is not remote control :( Do you guys know if it would be possible to modify it to use the remote systems that Lego produce?

Last edited:
Caporegime
We asked about using the MM too and they said no. They don't want to open up the possibility of lots of other non computery things being bought and sold here. Which is fair enough. The MM has a deliberately narrow selection of allowed products, otherwise it would become unmanageable.

Soldato
I'm finding the Merc Arocs awesome but difficult!

I was on step three this morning, sank about an hour into the build to realise on step 40 that I had made a mistake on step 8 (the rubber damper feet - which in my morning slight hungoverness I had put on the wrong way! I tried dismantling parts to get to the fix but in the end gave up and started step 3 again! Almost finished step 4 now, how people can say they build this truck in like 7 hours is crazy!

Back
Top Bottom