BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Associate
so for me, 7/10. not too bad will watch again to see if Evans shills out. make....

Chris evan to stop shouting and trying to make the show "exciting". thats not what it needs to be. it needs to be clever.

Top Gear was getting boring. If GT is that program, i'll be very quickly bored. probably more so than the new top gear.

at least the new Top Gear has scope. lots of personalities etc... just hope the people in charge make the decision to make it it's own program and let the old top gear die. i mean, 23 seasons of the same old, put it down already.

Soldato
Watched this earlier, thought it was really quite poor. The US vs UK challenge started terribly and only improved with the final off-road bit. The Viper vs Corvette thing was rubbish and didn't even go into any detail on the Corvette (or the Viper, really), and the "Stars in the overpriced Mini" segment was dire and awkward to watch. A single, likeable celebrity would've been better than two people that most people don't really care about these days. The scripts were boring too, not helped by CHRIS EVANS' PERMANENT OVER-ENTHUSIASM.

All that said, it's the first episode with new presenters and I assume at least a partly-new team behind the scenes so I can imagine it'll take a while to settle-in. Presumably Matt LeBlanc will appeal to the North American audience so they'll at least have that market to sell it to if it bombs here.

Associate
Boring - just a rehash of the old crap, but with rubbish presenters.

Won't be making an effort to watch it - might grab it on iplayer for the commute - but other than that, meh.

this. it was proper crap. i was forced to sit through it at a mates yesterday because he loves cars... god knows how he enjoyed it.

Soldato
I said I wouldn't watch it, I did, I wish I hadn't.

I actually like Evans on the radio but on tv I want to smash his smug face in, such a try hard. They are trying to emulate Clarkson and failing, grow some balls and at least do your own thing, instead a garbage rehash.

Funniest was Evans giving it big pre show saying less than 5 mill viewers wouldn't be good enough, post show having been told it less than 5 he's acting although this was the best thing ever. Mug.

Soldato
Anyone watch "Extra Gear" afterwards on BBC3? Chris Harris was great, the new amateur seemed more at ease than LeBlanc and seemed pretty enthusiastic and the few car features they had were pretty good too.

They also seemed to be doing "The News" section too which a little flat to be fair.

Associate
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Guess it boils down to if you happen to like Chris Evans or not.
Oooooh look at me, I have a different opinion to everyone else.:rolleyes:

Under Clarkson and co. it was getting stale but still watchable and some laughs were there to be had. This was utterly unwatchable and well... just boring. I lasted 1/2 an hour which was being generous.

Man of Honour
I thought the first episode was very "meh". Especially with the 3 wheeler story. Essentially nothing of substance actually happened with them. I don't mind Chris Evans, but I didn't feel chemistry between the presenters. Maybe that'll come in time.

I did watch Extra Gear and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know of Chris Harris before TG but I do find him quite likable. What I liked about Extra Gear was that it didn't try too hard and that's what I'm finding about TG, it tries to hard and feels forced because of it. Maybe in time that'll settle down.

You might like to see Chris Harris on Cars on Youtube. It's mothballed since he's working on Top Gear, but there's some very good stuff on it. The budget was extremely limited so don't expect Top Gear production values, but his genuine enthusiasm and presenting ability shines through. There's even an episode in which he's only a passenger in an event advertising tyres and it's still good because he doesn't try to overshadow the cars (037, Stratos and Delta S4) and the drivers (Markku Alen and Juha Kankkunen).

Just watched the extra programme over breakfast, while I like Chris Harris and the general idea of bonus content, Rory and the syle of it remind me of a kids programme on CBBC.

I think that's the crux of the problem with the new Top Gear - it's too childish. It also reminds me of the horrendous "infomercials" playing in my local Wilko's. Too much fake-sounding cheerful enthusiasm. That's just the job for kiddy's TV, but I'm a bit old for Playschool On Cars. Maybe that's what will be popular nowadays, I don't know. I'm obviously not the intended market - I don't watch TV any more.

Associate
It's the first time I've ever watched a new episode and fallen asleep. Extra gear was 10000x better because of Chris Harris.

Soldato
Oooooh look at me, I have a different opinion to everyone else.:rolleyes:

This is the Top Gear thread, not the 'Let's all hate Top Gear Thread'.
If he liked it, he liked it. No need to be an ass about it !!

On a lighter note, I found this worth a little chuckle if not entirely accurate.

2h4w6cz.jpg

Permabanned
Absolutely terrible... ended up skipping most of it once they got to the star in a rally car crap.

They've tried too hard to pander to all the complaints... one of the reasons the last cast were so good is because they were a little anti-PC... this was just terrible.

Could never stand Chris Evans... but him trying to copy Clarkson was just cringeworthy.

Matt LeBlanc has potential... wouldn't mind some excitement from him though, perhaps a little bit of passion... but him as lead presenter would be a heck of an improvement over Evans...

Even the studio audience got bored... you could see it after the first segment... when it started they were all happy, smiley and excited... then they went to sad/bored face.

Soldato
I'm surprised they didn't consider something along the lines of a NA vs Europe thing between the two main hosts. If they wanted to add Sabine it could even have been USA vs UK vs Germany in challenges or fun events over the season.

Seems like something that could have been fun and fairly original.

Man of Honour
Well I'm glad I didn't rush home to watch it and saved it for iplayer - I didn't even pay much attention to it after 10 minutes - very meh. Okay I don't like Chris Evans, but even Matt LeBlanc was just like stiff cardboard.

Shame Chris Harris isn't on the main part of the programme to add a little passion and less roll eyes.

It was effectively the same show, rehashed, with different presenters, and it didn't work. Chris Evans even did the JC thing of "you'd think this car would go like the clappers.... and you'd be absolutely..... right". Yay, original. At least when JC did it, it didn't feel contrived.

I'll download it for the commute, but I'm not really going to make the effort to watch it. I'm looking forward to the Clarkson version on Amazon.

That said, Chris Harris' section wasn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom