WWDC June 2016 - Macbook Refresh

Soldato
I have a Macbook, and my opinion as to whether it's any good really comes down to what you intend to use it for.

My main laptop is a 15" rMBP, but lugging that everywhere for meetings is a pain. Also, I travel a fair bit, and I really don't need the 15" for that.

So, the Macbook I tend to use as a more capable iPad that's not really much heavier than one. As that, it's a great device.

As a laptop, it's a bit of a compromise. Can just about run Windows 10 in Parallels for a bit, but that's about it.

Soldato
It took the MacBook Air several years to really bed in - I think it had 3 soft updates before it got the redesign that really made it what it is today - I don't think this will be any different.

Some performance indicators here:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/19/new-12-inch-macbook-benchmarks-tidbits/

The comments about Thunderbolt 3 are ill-informed - there's no room inside for the controller currently (I'm sure I saw someone say it's bigger than the logic board of the MB lawl), although I think it's integrated into Kaby Lake so it's on the cards in a future update. Think the Core-M they use doesn't support DD4 either. It's really only the webcam that's blatantly being held back.

Soldato
As luck* would have it I picked up a 2016 unit today. The 2015 unit for me has been great, but could do with just a *bit* more compute power. Like I say, it's been a super-iPad for me, rather than a laptop.

The specs on the new unit however made me think again - and I'm kinda pleased I did. This unit is just powerful enough to make it usable as a reasonable laptop...So far. That perception may change.

Anyways, if anybody is even vaguely interested:

https://youtu.be/5onC6FugUhE

Associate
As luck* would have it I picked up a 2016 unit today. The 2015 unit for me has been great, but could do with just a *bit* more compute power. Like I say, it's been a super-iPad for me, rather than a laptop.

The specs on the new unit however made me think again - and I'm kinda pleased I did. This unit is just powerful enough to make it usable as a reasonable laptop...So far. That perception may change.

Really useful video thanks.

Associate
Just returned my MacBook Pro 13" Retina after catching wind of a possible refresh of the Pro's.

Really do hope they come along, I only used it for 2 days and thought it was a great bit of kit. But if there is a chance of getting the newer one, I will take the chance and wait a month.

Associate

Great video. I was thinking exactly the same. How much was the cost to upgrade out of interest?

Jack

Soldato
OP
I've just bought a new 2016 Macbook. Whilst we're waiting for the new Macbook Pro announcements can anyone recommend me a wireless mouse that will work smootly with the Macbook without the need for a dongle :confused:

I'm not keen on the Apple mouse as it felt far too shallow and uncomfrtable. I was thinking about something like a Logitech MX Anywhere 2 which connects via bluetooth as I have a Logitech MX revolution on my desktop and it's one of my all time favourite mice.

It's my first Mac so is there anything else to pay attention to when ordering a mouse for OSX ? Will any bluetooth mouse work OK?

Last edited:
Soldato
Logitech MX Anywhere 2 or Master 2 are good shouts although a tad prices. Personally I found the logitech range awesome.

I use the M705 but it needs a small dongle too work.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Mate, the MX Master is an AMAZING mouse. I've bought 2, one for home and one for work.

Associate
Logitech forums are full of people complaining about issues with the Mx Master Bluetooth connectivity on Mac. Seems to be an ongoing issue for a lot of people with Logitech doing nothing about it other than recommending to use the dongle rather than Bluetooth.

Also, I found the Mac mouse / scroll wheel acceleration horrible compared to windows. Smoothmouse can fix this.

Back
Top Bottom