Rebuild - would appreciate some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi all,

My 2500K and its motherboard have finally bitten the dust, and I'm in need of replacing these components in my gaming rig fairly sharpish. I'll be keeping my current GPU for the time being, and I've already got a decent Corsair 650W PSU.

Could I ask someone to have a little look at the below and see if it all works from a compatibility point of view, and recommend alternatives if I'm missing a trick somewhere :)

Total: £553.95
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Thanks in advance!
AP

Last edited:
Looks fine to me. I'd recommend going with the i5 over the i7 if it is just a gaming rig. If you are not looking to overclock then I would also drop the Zalman cooler and save yourself another £50. Of course if you ARE looking to overclock then keep it.

Associate
OP
Looks fine to me. I'd recommend going with the i5 over the i7 if it is just a gaming rig. If you are not looking to overclock then I would also drop the Zalman cooler and save yourself another £50. Of course if you ARE looking to overclock then keep it.
Brilliant, thanks! Any suggestion for an alternative cooler? Or will the stock one be sufficient? I'm quite keen on it not being too loud...

Soldato
Brilliant, thanks! Any suggestion for an alternative cooler? Or will the stock one be sufficient? I'm quite keen on it not being too loud...

There is no stock cooler with the 6600k or 6700k. Even the retail versions don't come supplied with a cooler. So you're going to have to buy a cooler anyway.

Perhaps take a look at the Noctua coolers as an alternative, they are very quiet and efficient.

Associate
OP
There is no stock cooler with the 6600k or 6700k. Even the retail versions don't come supplied with a cooler. So you're going to have to buy a cooler anyway.

Perhaps take a look at the Noctua coolers as an alternative, they are very quiet and efficient.

I think I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler :)

Last edited:

Well that sucks.

OK, looks like you are going to need a cooler then.

Associate
OP
The Noctua NH-D9L is going to look ugly in that case, what about this.

b]My basket at Overclockers UK:[/b]

Total: £84.84
(includes shipping: £9.90)

Interesting - thanks for the suggestion; they do look quite nice, AND they're a bit cheaper. I'll need to look at some reviews first (I'm quite keen on a relatively quiet CPU cooler if possible), and check clearances on the board etc, but it sounds like a good option.

Soldato
Are you sure it is definitely the cpu and mobo which has gone? They don't usually just give up for a laugh, did something happen for them to 'die'?

Associate
OP
Are you sure it is definitely the cpu and mobo which has gone? They don't usually just give up for a laugh, did something happen for them to 'die'?

Well, actually, they're not entirely dead just yet. The symptoms I'm facing are things like system hangs before the BIOS even gets as far as POST, USB ports spontaneously deciding to not activate - motherboard stuff which I think would necessitate a replacement.

Nothing has happened which I believe precipitated this; the machine has been sat there with very little movement for quite some time, but the system is over 6 years old and has been worked very hard over that time...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Interesting - thanks for the suggestion; they do look quite nice, AND they're a bit cheaper. I'll need to look at some reviews first (I'm quite keen on a relatively quiet CPU cooler if possible), and check clearances on the board etc, but it sounds like a good option.

Had one, and there stonking coolers kept my 3570k @ 4.5ghz at 60c but make sure you get low profile ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom