Most powerful 15" Laptop

Associate
Hi all,

Next week I will be receiving some insurance vouchers through via a big well known online retailer worth £1800

I want a 15" gaming laptop with a 980m/980? (or any SLI graphics card that is better than 980m)

Requirements

8GB Ram+

Skylake i7

980m+

SSD (don't care for storage I just want SSD for games).

Very clear 1080p screen or 3k/4k screen (not for games just for clarity).

Touch-screen optional but preferred (android emulator clash of clans).

Lightweight as possible as it will be taken with me nearly everywhere via motorcycle.

Noise and heat level is important.

I've had a Gigabyte laptop in the past and prefer a change.

17" laptop is an option as long as its on the smaller side as I will need to take it in a backpack everyday.

Any comments are appreciated

Associate
OP
The most powerful outright is the clevo sporting a desktop 6700k processor and 980m.

Looks like a nice laptop but it seems a bit bulky for me to carry around :(

I have been looking at the Aorus X5 with 965m SLI but i'm a little bit worried about the 965m SLI being outdated compared to a 980m and having the possibility of having driver issues in the future (games not supporting SLI)

I have also seen the latest Aorus X5 with 980m 8GB but it seems to be out of my price range at 2k :(

Soldato
From my limited looking at the 15" laptop range whilst I was looking at 17" laptops I generally found the 6820 with 16GB ram and 980m 8GB to be the most powerful. Alienware and probably other brands have these.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Looks like a nice laptop but it seems a bit bulky for me to carry around :(

I have been looking at the Aorus X5 with 965m SLI but i'm a little bit worried about the 965m SLI being outdated compared to a 980m and having the possibility of having driver issues in the future (games not supporting SLI)

I have also seen the latest Aorus X5 with 980m 8GB but it seems to be out of my price range at 2k :(

Hi swinchester,

The X5 is a really good value purchase at the moment, and this is the last of the stock at OCUK....

Notice that you also get the added value of "AOURS M7" Gaming Mouse and "AORUS K7" Mechanical Keyboard (detachable macro/num pad)

Scroll to bottom of product page to see the "free items"

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...5m-sli-8gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-012-au.html

If you want GTX980m beating performance, then the Broadwell CPU version of the AORUS X7, with SLI GTX970M, is also available with the same freebies, again this is the last of the stock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...0m-sli-6gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-017-au.html

Hope that helps and if you want any further information please let us know.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
You could wait till pascal laptops are released. More should be said about them by the end of this month.

Even if you don't go for it their impending arrival will drive down the price of the current best.

Associate
agreed. Wait out for pascal mate.

This statement should be made a sticky at the top of this sub-forum but i suppose wouldn't make for good business.

If you buy now, you will be disappointed in a months time.

Associate
OP
agreed. Wait out for pascal mate.

This statement should be made a sticky at the top of this sub-forum but i suppose wouldn't make for good business.

If you buy now, you will be disappointed in a months time.

Lets hope its only a month, I have a feeling we won't actually be able to purchase any laptops with a 1070m/1080m for a long time yet :(

Soldato
I would be very surprised if we saw 1080m laptops for sale in a month. More like the end of the year. Even then the gap between the 980m and 880m release date was 19 months. The 980m was also released a year after it was announced. It was announced in October 2014 and released in October 2015. The 880m was released in March 2014.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom