Fan Help

Associate
First time posting in this section so hope its the correct place.

PC feels like its running a bit hot at times so am looking to add more fans to try and cool it down a bit.

My case is an in-Win 503 and I am only running the stock fan which came with it and the stock fan which came with my CPU cooler.

I may seem like an absolute idiot but what other fans can I get and where can I mount them? Which fans would also be recommended?

Associate
Looking at the case specs you only get 1 rear fan included, is this correct?
If it was me I'd have at least two front intakes and one rear exhaust.
Possibly another intake in the floor if it fits.

Fan recommendations depend entirely on budget,
the airflow is restricted at the front of the case with the hard drive cage,
so something which strikes a good balance between airflow and static pressure.

Soldato
What David41 said.

You might find this guide of interest
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26159770&postcount=7

I would get 3x 120mm fans for front and bottom intakes and set them up so they cycle with CPU and GPU heat / load like their cooler fans do.

What fans depends on budget and how you plan to control them. I normally use PWM fans because I use the PWM signal from CPU fan header and GPU fan header to supply their control. Phanteks are a good fan at reasonable price. Their PH-F140SP (3-pin variable voltage), PH-F120SP LED (3-pin w/ separate led power lead) and PH-F120XP
(4-pin PWM). Their newer PH-F120MP is also very good. Prices range from £5.99 to £10.99 The PH-F120SP and PH-F120SP_BLED (blue LED) are same fan. F120SP_BLED can be used without plugging in the led and costs £5.00 less .. to me it's a no brainer if you have variable voltage control.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/air-...120mm-pc-fans?ckSuppliers=473&ckTab=0&sSort=2

Associate
OP
Thanks for the detailed reply guys - I am going to have a read of the guide linked then come back with any Q's.

To confirm yes case only has 1 rear fan at the moment.

Associate
OP
Tried putting this together not sure if it will make sense

2ztccue.png

Existing fan to be made exhaust, Bottom to intake and front to intake - Only thing I think I don't have correct is my CPU cooler I am sure it is blowing to the right when I should have it going to the left? I may be totally wrong on this I need to double check tonight it may already be going to the left.

This may be a daft question but to set a fan to intake or exhaust is this simply determined by what way I face it or do they need to be specific?

Would I also need some fan extension cables and/or a fan connection hub as I cant remember how many fan slots my motherboard has at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, CPU cooler should be flowing to left so it's heated exhaust air goes out the back of case.

Open up as much vent area as possible in the back around the GPU. Removing PCIe slot covers, even 'vented' ones helps front to back case airflow and helps keep heated GPU exhaust from moving up into cool air going to CPU ahd heating it up.

I want more exhaust vent area on back and in back area of case than I have intake fans on the front and bottom of case. Case can only flow as much air as the lessor of the two; intake or exhaust.
  • If we have 5x intakes & fans and only 1x exhaust vent & fan, the case will only flow as much air as can get out the 1x exhaust vent.
  • If we have 2x intakes & fans and 5x exhaust vents (with our without fans) the case will only flow as much air as the 2x intakes bring into case.
What come in must go out / what comes out must first go in.

A case is like a full water tank with pipes and valves of water running into and out of tank. 5 pipes running water into take can only run more water into take if there is water running out of tank. If there are 3 pipes running water out the 5 pipes running water in can only put as much water in as the 3 pipes are taking out. 3:3 If there are 5 pipes letting water out, than the 5 pipes in match the 5 pipes out. But if there are 3 pipes in and 5 pipes out, the five pipes out only flow as much as the 3 pipes are running into tank.

Airflow is "Fluid Dynamics"

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Doyll that has helped me in getting my head around it I understand what your saying and fluid dynamics is a good way to put it.

Will get some fans ordered up and get the vents sorted out on my case probably start this next week.

Back
Top Bottom