Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Associate
OP
When it comes to impressions I find mainstream places like Headfi used to lean towards the HD600 because of that typical Audiophile tuning while more serious communities prefer the more natural tone of the 650 with the extra resolution and detail. I actually find these days more people tend to prefer the 650.

The 650 drivers are superior, it's a cleaner driver, faster, better controlled albeit it's newer driver. It's just preference really at the end of the day. The 600 has an upper mid peak and a bit more sparkle so in comparisons it can come off as a more fun listen because the 650 doesn't boost any of the response minus some warmth.

I stopped doing comparisons like that because I always used to lean towards the more exciting headphone. Now I go by what makes me more engaged to the music and if the 600 does that for you maybe that one is for you.

Man of Honour
I thought the 650 sounded the more "fun" of the two but maybe it depends what you listen for in the music. Which one sounds "better" will be very subjective to taste.

Associate
OP
Yeah I think when the 650 is amped well they have an exciting musical sound but I get peoples comments about being boring.

While I do find the 650 a faster more refined driver, I find the 600 to actually appear snappier especally due to it's extra energy up top.

The HD600 definitely has that Audiophile sound (Boosted up top, lower in level bass) compared to the 650 but compared to other headphones in it's day like the AKG K501, is more lush and smooth as headphones rarely had a warm tilt back then.

I think there's always going to be a side with Audiophile sound compared to hifi? Or musical listening and the HD600 is almost a hybrid in that area but does slightly lean more towards Audiophile sound for me.

I used to prefer the HD600 myself and also preferred the Annie over the 650 in the beginning but really started to appreciate the sound of the 650 more over time.

C64

C64

Soldato
Aune t1se opinions seems like they improved the original mark 2 ?
Heaphone output power :mad:300Ω 240mW < that's really good right compared to many an amp ?

Soldato
Currently testing out Ryan's 650s. First impression is that I'm hearing details I did not hear before on the X2. I am however finding them quite uncomfortable due to the earpad shape but I'll give them a few hours to see if I get used to it.
I can certainly see from this early stage why people love these for music, however as I primarily game I shall have to wait before I lavish too much praise.

C64

C64

Soldato
Currently testing out Ryan's 650s. First impression is that I'm hearing details I did not hear before on the X2. I am however finding them quite uncomfortable due to the earpad shape but I'll give them a few hours to see if I get used to it.
I can certainly see from this early stage why people love these for music, however as I primarily game I shall have to wait before I lavish too much praise.

I find them much more comfortable than my x1 although they don't sound anywhere near as good as the x1 with just an e6 amp.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
IMO there is no headphone that I've tried on that's more comfortable than the X1 or X2. There's just no way to compete against that suspended soft headband, velour soft pad and memory foam cushion.

Still, the 650 is superior musically than them, so I can compromise :p

Associate
OP
The 650 get better over time for comfort. When the headband loosens abd the pads become soft they will ease up.

The X2 are very comfortable headphones. I find the creamy sound of the 650 to take me away so I don't judge them too much. I hope you hate them so I have them back in the future when I'm settled financially lol

Associate
OP
Nah I still have it. My LCD-2's got returned with fixed drivers I was going to sale them but they wouldn't shift right away and selling some of my other stuff already covered everything.

Soldato
Totally agree Ryan, musically they are head and shoulders above the X2 to my untrained ears. Gaming wise, not a patch and sadly this is the main use soooo you know :) They seem hard to drive though, had to put X7 on hi gain and even halfway volume isn't deafening. K712/XX needed about 25% to be uncomfortable

Man of Honour
Totally agree Ryan, musically they are head and shoulders above the X2 to my untrained ears. Gaming wise, not a patch and sadly this is the main use soooo you know :) They seem hard to drive though, had to put X7 on hi gain and even halfway volume isn't deafening. K712/XX needed about 25% to be uncomfortable

Depends a bit on amp but around middle volume on lower gains (2-3x) and ~25% on around 6x gain should drive the 600 series well enough - make sure any source volume is turned up i.e. Windows volume control if applicable.

Soldato
Ah good shout, that was through phone, on laptop it seems fine at 30% low gain.

Edit: Jesus, just listened to MJ Man in the mirror and it sounded like I was in the studio with him. Got the goose skin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom