Steam Summer Sale 2016 set for 23rd June for two weeks

Soldato
All the Steam sales to me now is advertisements for games that I can get cheaper on cdkey sites.
Generally true, but there are the games that you can't get Steam keys for like Ubisoft's stuff, GTA V and The Witcher 3. It's handy for those if you want to have them on Steam.

Soldato
I noticed there's small quantities of Summer Sale cards on market place. So I crafted a badge and it produced a useless coupon instead of sale card.

When does it become guaranteed that summer sale card is awarded every time you craft a badge?

Soldato
Steam sales are a non event for me these days. Shame

Yeah they haven't been as good as in the past and I have brought all the games I want already. Hope there might be something nice come up that I want but at least I can buy some cheap CS:GO skins off the marketplace!

Soldato
I dont really understand those who say the sales aren't as good anymore.

People seem to get disappointed if games from 6-12 months ago aren't 75% off, which was *never* a thing. Steam sales were great when they were newer and had all sorts of great, but slightly older games at really good discounts. So many people filled up their libraries with all the cheaper titles and then inevitably subsequent sales are going to be less appealing because you've already bought much of what was going to be heavily discounted.

It takes time for game prices to come down and we'll continually see a small portion of games go from light->medium discount or medium->heavy discount each sale. And 'medium' discount is often seen as unappealing or disappointing, so out of these titles, it's only the ones that go from medium->heavy discount that many are interested in or excited about. And that's only going to be a very small percent of the 'big' games people are waiting for.

I think Steam should do less frequent sales. I know they make a killing off them either way, but I think there'd be more excitement from them if there were bigger gaps in between, where we'd see slightly more games being discounted to what people want each time.

Back
Top Bottom