Windows 7 licence key ,, embeddded ?

Associate
Hi all

Just a quick question.
Did windows 7 ever come with a embedded bios license key ? I was under the impression that the embedded keys started at windows 8.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.
Just upgraded a laptop today for a friend but we have an issue with the license key.
Running windows 7 and it remains unactivated even when we extracted the key and entered it manually.
The laptop was bought 3-4 years ago with a genuine copy of windows 7.
My friend did say he had taken it a local computer shop awhile back and asked if it could be made a touch quicker because it had gone a touch sluggish.
Got me wondering if the license on the laptop might not be genuine after the work done on it at this shop ?

Associate
As far as I was aware it was only Windows 8 + came with the embedded BIOS keys. Sounds like a dodgy copy to me.

If it's a Dell laptop, the key could be hidden under the battery.

What make and model is the laptop?

Soldato
Earlier Windows versions like 7 use OEM activation where there is a special table in the BIOS with an OEM ID a digital certificate which must be installed into Windows and a OEM activation key (which would differ from the one on the COA on the machine).

Soldato
Good place to read up on SLIC activation is My Digital Life forum.

As you didn't extract the *.xrm.ms file from original installation you may find the correct version on their site. Can then use insert commands to inject said file and associated product key, e.g.

Manually install a certificate
1. First, be sure to have SLIC 2.1 in your BIOS (you can use the SLIC DUMP ToolKit to check its presence).
2. Download certificates.
3. Put in C:\ the certificate that belong to your SLIC's brand.
4. Type cmd in Start menu.
5. Right-click on the first result (cmd.exe) and click on Run as administrator (confirm by clicking Yes if required).
6. Type (Important: Replace "NAME" with the name of your certificate)
slmgr -ilc C:\NAME.xrm-ms
7. Press ENTER and wait until a message confirms that the certificate has been correctly installed.

Manually install a key
1. Type cmd in Start menu.
2. Right-click on the first result (cmd.exe) and click on Run as administrator (confirm by clicking Yes if required).
3. Type (Important: Replace the XXXXX with a valid OEM SLP product key)
slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
4. Press ENTER and wait until a message confirms that the key has been correctly installed.

Back
Top Bottom