Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

So you destroy your cards then do you, which work in the same way?
It's a silly argument.

but it's not to everyone. you're not considering where might someone store their wallet/purse when out and about, sat at a cafe perhaps. where might someone store their phone when out and about. what reason might someone have to steal a wallet, unless there is cash in it (less likely each day), or a contactless card, stealing a wallet is pointless. stealing a phone however instantly is worth something, and if it's got insecure contactless you can get a few £30 purchases while you're at it, so now the thief has another reason (even if small) to steal your phone.

I'm actually surprised that Android Pay works more like a standard card than a payment method, it's impossible to make an Apple Pay payment without authorising it with the finger print reader

i'm not entirely sure android pay doesn't do that to. I'll get my friend to try later but i'm fairly sure android pay is sensible and requires authentication too. This is "barclays pay" that we're talking about that allows the payments while the screen is off.

I'm actually surprised that Android Pay works more like a standard card than a payment method, it's impossible to make an Apple Pay payment without authorising it with the finger print reader. This actually gives me confidence to use Apple Pay, I'm not sure I'd use Android Pay if it just takes tapping the phone onto the reader without having to unlock it, or type a pin or scan a fingerprint.

Wow that's some flawed reasoning. Steal a wallet and you get multiple cards with contactless.

no that's flawed logic. steal my wallet and you get one contactless card. not multiple. there's no guarantee any of the cards are contactless. steal a phone and you've already got something worth money, let alone the benefits of whether it can make contactless payments too. with barclays it's not even a guessing game. from the lockscreen it advertises it. and without it being unlocked you can make payments.

you're also spending too much time comparing contactless cards to contactless mobile payments. there is a difference. one has the ability to be even more secure without any hassle to the user. one doesn't.

as i've written before. you're basically saying as a push bike doesn't have air bags so a car doesn't need one.

Last edited:
Soldato
one has the ability to be even more secure without any hassle to the user. one doesn't.

as i've written before. you're basically saying as a push bike doesn't have air bags so a car doesn't need one.

This is just the 1st gen of these apps. I'm sure there will be an "unlock to paid" feature in the near future.

The main focus of these apps at the moment is targeted marketing integration, but they will get round to added security to keep you happy.

PS. I bet your push bike has airbags

Soldato
This actually gives me confidence to use Apple Pay, I'm not sure I'd use Android Pay if it just takes tapping the phone onto the reader without having to unlock it, or type a pin or scan a fingerprint.

And if you don't mind me saying, here is 'Joe Public' backing up what we've been saying. It doesn't matter so much if it's logical or not, this is the way a lot of people think.

Soldato
Ok so my experience with contactless so far!

Bank: Halifax
Card: Credit Card
Phone: Note 3 running Phronesis 6.5 Note 5 Port with IdleKernel 7.1 - Rooted using aftermarket Anker battery

Ok first off, contactless is awesome! I dont know how you guys who run rooted phones with Halifax are finding it but I have to use the website since the app no longer allows itself to be run on rooted phones. I thought that would be the end of contactless with Halifax and rooted handsets....

I thought initially the phone would not support it at all having been on CM13 for the past few months and trying to add cards with no success, just error messages! Have now made the switch back to Note 5 ports and, wow! - they have come a long way in terms of functionality and smoothness with contactless being one of the advantages!

Adding the card was simple, taking the picture of the card and confirming the security code was all it needed. Halifax then sent a text to verify and all was good! I also received a letter through the post about a week after adding the card to Andriod Pay.

Now onto paying....

My first experience was in Poundland (waheyy!) and to my surprise, it did not work! I thought this may be down to the aftermarket battery (I have an Anker) or the fact that I wasn't putting it on the terminal correctly.....

Anyway, I let it go and waited till the next opportunity (no pun intended) - Co-Op!
This time I unlocked the phone before hand and loaded up the Android Pay app. To my surprise it actually worked! Phone buzzed, terminal beeped, notification happened, happy days!

Fast forward to today, in Lidl this time (nothing wrong with Lidl, stop laughing! :D) and I went to pay. I tried just unlocking the phone and it worked! No need to load the app!

Morrisons was next, (Lidl had no milk today :() and for some reason I had to load the app again for it to work?

Not sure what is happening with it but I think it may be down to time, leaving the phone on the terminal for a bit longer may 'wake up' the NFC transfer. It also may be down to the location of the chip itself. I have no idea where it is on the Note3 so will have to figure that out!

To sum up, it works, which is awesome! Just need to figure out what the best technique is now to get it working 100% of the time with minimal fuss! :D

Last edited:
To sum up, it works, which is awesome! Just need to figure out what the best technique is now to get it working 100% of the time with minimal fuss! :D

glad to hear you like it. it really is the future of payments. wont be long and you'll start having the confidence to leave without your wallet. such a great feeling just having your phone in your pocket and nothing else.

android pay i'm sure works without the app needing to be loaded up, so perhaps as you say android pay needs a second of contact before it will activate. have a google and find where the nfc chip is located on your phone. i know on my nexus 5 i would struggle to find contact with other nfc chips as i wasn't entirely sure where it was, but on my 6P i know exactly where it is thanks to the black bar so it takes me a split second sometimes to make contact.

Soldato
Yeah a quick Google suggests its in/behind the battery so the main meat of the backside of the phone. I stupidly thought the camera must have something to do with it! (probably as that protrudes and I thought that must be the 'key' to it all!)

I will use that in the future and see how I get on!

I remember when I first got my Note3 and how it used to beep and bong every time I put it down on my wallet. That was almost 3 years ago and only recently did I figure out it was trying to communicate with my Oyster card!

Just had a play about with it now and there is definitely more action (beeps and bongs) in the middle area of the backside of the phone as opposed to any other area!

Will give it a test out tomorrow and see how it goes! I feel like I'm spending money not just for the sake of using Android Pay!! :D

Soldato
Tried to use it on my 6p today at Morrisons and it didn't work, phone fully unlocked.
Maybe it is the location of the chip I held the phone to the screen area of the terminal for at least 4 seconds. Ended up using the card.

Soldato
Tried to use it on my 6p today at Morrisons and it didn't work, phone fully unlocked.
Maybe it is the location of the chip I held the phone to the screen area of the terminal for at least 4 seconds. Ended up using the card.

You're doing it right if the payment terminal is a Verifone vx820 ( one of these). Do you have any aggressive power saving going on that would either disable the NFC until unlocked (most enable it on when the screen's on but I've seen ROMs go further) or disable the app from waking? At my local morrisons I think you have to select contactless too for some reason (although i imagine that selecting card or contactless does exactly the same thing and just enables the terminal).

I don't really understand the security angle - your banks have all agreed to it (likely because it reflects the current use of contactless) and they are the ones who hold the risk. The fraud level on contactless is absolutely minute compared to card not present fraud, the risk is extremely low.

Associate
Might very well be late to the party, but Android Pay now works perfectly on my Nexus 6p with DPI at 460. Apparently DPI changes had to be supported since it supports N DP3 with built in DPI adjustment, so it now works on marshmallow too.

Soldato
This is "barclays pay" that we're talking about that allows the payments while the screen is off.

Ok, so now that my cashback card is allowed to work with mobile payments, I tried this yesterday. When the screen was off, it didn't do payment. When I turned the screen on, it did payment. This was for an under £30 payment.

Is that in the Barclays app, or Barclaycard app? I didn't think Barclays (which was what was asked) had any contactless payment yet?

Barclaycard app. As I mentioned, I have now been able to add my cashback card to it, though its a shame I can't use the AMEX card which comes with the account, only the Visa meaning I only get 0.5% back on it :(

Last edited:
Is that in the Barclays app, or Barclaycard app? I didn't think Barclays (which was what was asked) had any contactless payment yet?

Apparently any day now we our due an update to the 'Barclays App' (not the Barclay Card App) so that you can use your phone for contactless payments from your debit card.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...phones-using-Google-s-operating-software.html

Barclays said contactless mobile would be available from June.

Once live, the roll out would be phased over several days and customers would be contacted by Barclays when the service became available.

Both credit and debit cards can be used for the new mobile payments service.

The service will also allow contactless payments of between £30 and £100 to be made by tapping the mobile device.

People making payments of over £30 will also need to enter their card's PIN into the keypad, as they would if they paid by card.

I have been looking forward to this and hope to finally ditch my wallet!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom