Nexus 5x Poor battery life

Associate
Hi. I was wondering if anybody could help me. The battery life on my nexus 5x is terrible. I took it off charge this morning at 10am. I have hardly used it today and am down to 58% battery left.

Screen on time is only 10 mins. The top of the list under battery stats is android os. Ive tried a factory reset and haven't really got many apps at all on it. Please help.

Thanks, Chris

Associate
My go-to's for battery on a fresh android install are pretty much: WI-Fi always scanning disabled and location on GPS only. Also disable Google Now if you don't use it. I had a mate with a 5x with the same problems and these 3 things fixed it.

If your signal is always poor then the battery will drain, not really much that can be done about that other than putting it in aeroplane mode. That sometimes explains "Android OS" at the top of the battery screen.

If the phone is in your pocket all day and moving it probably doesn't get much of a chance to doze. Turning off Ambient Display (does the 5X have this?) seems to let the phone doze more if it's moving around all the time.

Other than this it's all pretty much a shot in the dark, if it persists then it's worth rooting & getting a good battery app to see where the wake-locks are coming from.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found that the Facebook app and the Google chrome notifications from Facebook were what was ruining the battery life on my 5x. Since removing the app and notifications it's been fine. Makes me worry how much information the app is sending to Facebook about me behind the scenes really!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses. I've disabled ambient display and will see how it goes. Haven't got the Facebook app. Not even on Facebook as I can't stand it but thanks for the suggestion.
Chris

Soldato
Try downloading greenify and having a play, I get awesome battery life on my 5x although running ex kernel and ghost pepper profile, it matches my old Sony z2!

Back
Top Bottom