Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Soldato
I think I will be repurchasing some 650's. I kind of knew I might when I sent them back but just needed the cashflow to try Noxia's X2's.

I can see myself selling the X2's on and buying 650's for music and keeping my AKG K550 MK2's for gaming with a ModMic.

Soldato
I think I will be repurchasing some 650's. I kind of knew I might when I sent them back but just needed the cashflow to try Noxia's X2's.

I can see myself selling the X2's on and buying 650's for music and keeping my AKG K550 MK2's for gaming with a ModMic.

Alright m8 no need for the guilt trip. The 650 now feel very comfortable, just a slight pressure on the ears.

C64

C64

Soldato
Fidelio for gaming hd600/650 for music is the way to go.

I am concerned that someone said the creative x7 cannot drive the 650 properly ? any reason for this what is the output at 600ohm ? surely it should be enough ?

I am tempted to buy an smsl sap VI after z reviews said it's really powerful compared to other amps.

personally I find the 650 the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on my head far more comfortable than fidelios.

Like how much juice is enough for 650 ? 300mw ? 400 mw 500 ?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Dunno about that. Having owned the X1 and X2 as well as Q701/K7XX, I'm just as happy gaming with the 650 as I was with all of the others. All spacious and precise in games.

Soldato
X7 should have more than enough for the HD600/650. Has the same headphone amp as the ZxR and the Xonar Essence cards, If I'm not mistaken. Assuming that's correct, it should have enough power. Soundblaster Z, on the other hand, doesn't really.

I've seen some people say they use HD650 with the headphone port on their Logitech Z5500 speakers. That always makes me chuckle. :p

C64

C64

Soldato
Totally agree Ryan, musically they are head and shoulders above the X2 to my untrained ears. Gaming wise, not a patch and sadly this is the main use soooo you know :) They seem hard to drive though, had to put X7 on hi gain and even halfway volume isn't deafening. K712/XX needed about 25% to be uncomfortable

:confused:

Soldato
Sounds odd to me as I had no trouble driving them with the X7

Put it this way, it uses the same basic amp as the STX and the ZxR and I normally use them at 35% on high gain, which is between 64ohms and 300ohms, with another gain setting to go (over 300ohms)

Associate

I am concerned that someone said the creative x7 cannot drive the 650 properly ? any reason for this what is the output at 600ohm ? surely it should be enough ?

I am tempted to buy an smsl sap VI after z reviews said it's really powerful compared to other amps.

personally I find the 650 the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on my head far more comfortable than fidelios.

The zxr on sbx mode adds oodles of bass and treble to the hd600, gives them the best of both worlds when you turn it off for music.Had the x1's for a few days last year but sadly didn't test them for gaming.Wasnt impressed at all for music.

Man of Honour

They say that because the JRC4556 in the smsl is rated for 75ma per channel compared to the more normal 25-30ma but the 600 series only need something like 6ma (can't remember if that is total or per channel) the 4556 has rather average slew rates/ability to swing voltage which is what is required to make the 600s shine. One thing the smsl has going for it is that it uses a true ac fed split power supply rather than a virtual ground which can help its performance over competing amps.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blog...ensitivity-akg-k702-vs-sennheiser-hd-600.html assuming this person is right (looks it at quick glance) pretty much shows the numbers.

Regarding the X7 I think the poster found that the source they were using wasn't turned up enough rather than the X7 being the problem.

EDIT: Probably why with the 8066 op amp I hear such great bass on my 600s as it has decent slew rates/general ability to swing voltage and probably overcomes the high impedance lump at the bottom end which may be defeating many an ostensibly high end amp or I might be talking rubbish as I'm no expert.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't feel the X7 fails to drive the HD650 at all. My only complaint is the stock Opamp lacks bass and slightly boost the treble. For some this is ideal because the HD650 can be a little too thick sounding for those used to leaner headphones like the K7 series or Beyers.

The X7 should be able to move anything except some stubborn headphones like the HE-6 and obviously electrostats. The only reason I don't use it as a one and only is because the Mojo has my ideal sound and I like to listen in different rooms.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato

Sounds incredible on my fidelio x1 but not so much on the 650 (no decent amp for the 650 yet though)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom