Sold a car - need some advice

Associate
Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Motors or GD, so please feel free to move if I've messed up.

I listed a car on a well known auction site recently. I was meant to do it as a classified ad but listed it as a buy it now auction instead - my mistake. :o The only accepted method of payment I listed on the auction was cash on collection.

Essentially, someone has hit buy it now and has messaged me saying they'll pay via PayPal and have the car collected. A quick Google reveals this sort of thing is dodgy and happens quite a bit, but bear with me... I replied to the buyer saying the terms were cash on collection only and this was the terms of the auction. I didn't really expect any buyer to click buy it now if I'm honest - my contact details were in the auction and I expected to receive offers directly and to close the deal in person (like any other car).

Now here's the twist, they've given a fairly legit reason for not being able to see the car in person. They've also said if the car is as described in the auction then there's no need to view it. I disagree and would never buy a car without viewing or test driving, but it is a good, honest car in any case so who am I to argue?

They are now looking into the possibility of someone else (partner) coming down on their behalf with the cash. If I was to offer the possibility of bank transfer and collection once the funds are in my account instead, does anyone see any potential issues with that? I understand there's no eBay buyer protection for vehicles, so do they have any sort of comeback once the vehicle arrives with them?

I feel the car is described fairly - I said in the auction it has some age related marks, but do they have any comeback through eBay assuming they haven't bothered to get anyone to view it? Do I stress their lack of comeback to them when I offer the option of bank transfer?

Any advice appreciated

Man of Honour
BT is fine, do not under any circumstances accept PP as they'll be able to do an undelivered chargeback with no fuss.

As long as the money is not sent through PP then they won't really have any comeback through eBay.

Soldato
Still sounds like the usual scam they offer, oh I'll send someone to collect it with a low loader and BT you payment over.

I'd take the hit and relist your ad but as classified.

Soldato
never allow collection in person if they pay via paypal, they get an instant refund if they dispute since you cannot prove postage

Soldato
What's Acme bought now ;)

If you had in the terms Cash only and the viewed the advert, i would say tough, it's cash only or it will be relisted.

Soldato
It's a classic eBay scam that people fall for time and time again :rolleyes: nobody buys a car without even turning up to look at it unless it's a £800 or less banger. They will just reverse the payment as soon as they get the car. Only ever accept cash.
How much is your car worth? And how much feedback does the buyer have?

Caporegime

My immediate thought too.

:D

It's a classic eBay scam that people fall for time and time again :rolleyes: nobody buys a car without even turning up to look at it unless it's a £800 or less banger. They will just reverse the payment as soon as they get the car. Only ever accept cash.

O'RLY!

Associate
OP

Yes I had fun reading that thre... saga. :p

Car was £2k. 100% positive feedback, score 133, member since 2009.

I've offered the option of bank transfer and collection but stressed the car is going nowhere till I have the funds. Also said cash on collection is my preferred way of doing things, as per the auction.

Seems a bit too hassle free to be true, so I'm being cautious. I'll give them a reasonable amount of time to respond, otherwise I'll re-list it as a classified and try to claim back the listing fees due to non-paying buyer.

Associate
As already said many times. This type of thing is a well known scam. Take cash on Delivery or nothing would be my suggestion.

If someone is picking it up, they can bring the cash with them. The buyer can transfer them the money and they can bring cash if necessary, but I wouldn`t accept any other method of payment.

Soldato
BACS payments can be reversed, they are not safe at all. Insist on CHAPS and confirmation it has arrived in your account, or even safer cash on collection which is paid over the counter to your bank.

Yes I had fun reading that thre... saga. :p

Car was £2k. 100% positive feedback, score 133, member since 2009.

I've offered the option of bank transfer and collection but stressed the car is going nowhere till I have the funds. Also said cash on collection is my preferred way of doing things, as per the auction.

Seems a bit too hassle free to be true, so I'm being cautious. I'll give them a reasonable amount of time to respond, otherwise I'll re-list it as a classified and try to claim back the listing fees due to non-paying buyer.

I think that's fair enough.

The account could have been hijacked, so be careful.

Man of Honour

I paid 33000 for a car I bought on the phone. It was from a dealer, but many people will buy without seeing, you just lay out the terms that's all.

Caporegime
I paid 33000 for a car I bought on the phone. It was from a dealer, but many people will buy without seeing, you just lay out the terms that's all.

Paying £33k over the phone to a dealer is hardly the same as a £2k motor up for sale on eBay, your post is not really relevant here I think!

As said, transfers can be cancelled, cash on collection or no sale I think is your safest option.

Age old adage, if something seems to good to be true......

Last edited:
Associate
Parents recently sold their car, the person paying did a bank transfer, my mum went with them to the bank and got a statement from her bank to confirm the money was in there, this will obviously need to be a CHAPS for faster payment but it's worth the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom