Selling gear and downsizing?

Man of Honour
I don't use my DSLR all that much. When I do, I process about 20% of the photos I take. I have photos from Silverstone 2014 which I haven't been through yet. I got a fair bit of gear just sat doing nothing. When I do use my DSLR I only really use one lens, my 24-70L II.

I've got the following:
5D3
Canon grip
70-200 2.8 IS II
85 1.2 L
24-70 as above
Various bags
Cards etc

Also means I can get rid of my 5k iMac as it doesn't really get used for anything other than web.

Thought would be to sell the above and get something like the X100T and pocket a load of change.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very easy to keep gear you don't need

Actually about to put up for sale my 120-300mm f2.8 sigma lens as I haven't used it since having my 70-200 f2.8 is mkii

Also I keep thinking about selling my sigma 35mm art as I've barely touched it

I almost sold it all not long ago.

Soldato
I keep thinking the same, get something that's easier to carry around and take the shots that matter rather than lugging SLR kit everywhere.

Usually only need SLR kit 10-12 times a year, tried renting but ended up buying a lot of kit with the aim of selling it on after... then keeping it. With 2 more weddings coming up I'm considering another 5D3 so I can use primes and silent shooting (2nd prime on a 5D2 currently). Hiring would cost £400 so it makes sense to buy and sell on but I never sell on either the new kit or the older lenses/bodies "just in case" :(

If shooting for pleasure I really would consider selling off and downsizing, worst case you're not going to get on well with the new camera and it won't cost that much to switch back second hand.

Man of Honour
OP
I actually haven't used my DSLR this year in anger. I think the last time I used it was in NYC, and I genuinely don't think any of my pics would have been worse on a decent compact. The 24-70 was on the body for 95% of the time. Lugging a 5D3 about the streets of NYC, going for a meal then drink etc afterwards was tiring.

Need to look into which compact and look at reviews I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got rid of all my nikon gear last December and got a sony A6000,couldn't be more happier,nice and small,light weight,takes the pictures i want and damn good as well.

Soldato
I do photo walk's in london and they can last 12 hours,i was shattered by the time i lugged my nikon about and it had to go,changed to the sony and done another london shoot and was up there for 14 hours and it was lovely not lugging the big nikon about.

I have a christening to shoot sunday and will be using my sony for the first time at a venue,cant wait as i know the sony will be good no matter the day.

Soldato
With the exception of my Sigma 150 macro, I haven't missed anything about my old DSLR setup since moving to m43. I'd still recommend moving to an interchangeable lens setup otherwise you might miss the flexibility, but you can still significantly downsize.

Caporegime
If I did photography that fell into the 20-100mm range only there's no way I'd have a dslr

As it happens that the range I DONT use.
For anything long where you can't get away from the bulk I like the dslr style

Man of Honour
OP
The only time I used a long lens was at the BTCC, I haven't been in two years. What frustrated me was that I used to watch it all through the viewfinder.

Now I mainly take photos for memories, I've been using my iPhone more than my DSLR.

Soldato
I have an X100T. Very good camera, I love it. However only having 35mm is pretty inflexible.
Personally I'm just waiting on the X-T2, and then getting the 23 F1.4 and 56 F1.2.. and a wide angle perhaps. A good alternative would also be the Xpro2, but ideally I would like a massive EVF. One bad thing about the EVF though is it makes panning very difficult, but it does have numerous advantages.
Oh, and battery life sucks compared to DSLR's.

Associate
Similar sort of thing.

I have a 5DMKIII and a few L lenses, and I found walking round with that all day extremely tiring. So I picked up a little Sony RX100 IV in February while in New York, and I havent gone back to my DLSR since.

It fits in my pocket, takes great images, enough to print A1, and even shoots 4K if I need it. Unles Canon comes up with something spectacular soon, I will be selling my Canon gear.

Caporegime
Rather than downsize i just added a m43 camera for when i sill want great IQ but a small pocket camera. My DSLR can sit on the shelves for months without being touched, but when i have the time and inspiration i wouldn't want anything else.

Soldato
Rather than downsize i just added a m43 camera for when i sill want great IQ but a small pocket camera. My DSLR can sit on the shelves for months without being touched, but when i have the time and inspiration i wouldn't want anything else.

This is the ideal. I'm on an a6000 but the lack of telephoto lens options and I'm wanting to upsize :rolleyes: Still great for travel though and I really like the Sigma 19mm 2.8, decent quality for peanuts.

Caporegime

This is my quandary. I do love DSLR's and the results, but is it really worth (rhetorical question) having a few grand just sitting around collecting dust just for those infrequent times you feel inspired? It is of course down to personal taste and choice and each to their own what they do with their cash... but I'm also considering downsizing for a lighter system without sacrificing too much quality that I will use more frequently and be prepared to take with me places that I wouldn't usually take my DSLR.

I'm very eager to see what the Fuji XT-2 turns out like.

Last edited:
Soldato
I downsized to the Sony A7R, goes everywhere with me now, jacket pocket with the 35 fitted or just a strap with the 24-70 fitted. Can go even smaller still using manual lenses.

Soldato
Well the Fuji system seems to be a fairly good compromise. However if size is the primary concern, something like the RX1 or the mkii version is hard to beat considering the IQ it put's out, same with the x100 series as well. But then you lose lens flexibility. I love the fixed lens X100T, but I think it's the kind of camera you want along side an interchangeable lens camera system, rather than being your only camera. Sure with the x100 you have the wide angle and tele lens adaptors, but then you might as well get something like an X-T1 or XT10. And then there is the RX100 series. Great camera again and you can actually fit it in your pocket, but small sensor so you trade off image quality. But then you have zoom.. so...

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom