Can a Fitbit be used to "track" someone?

Associate
Sounds a silly question but basically my sister's in a court battle with her ex and he has given my nephew a Fitbit which is a bit odd as it's not in his nature etc etc.

My sis was wondering if the purpose was to keep tabs on my nephews whereabouts, I had a look at the site and couldnt see much in that regard but remember seeing people post maps on Facebook with overlays of the routes they have walked/run in the past and was wondering if this was something that could be done remotely to keep track on him.

Thanks folks,

R

Associate
If it's the Fitbit surge which has GPS then it could be possible any other Fitbit then no, as they don't have GPS. Even if it were the surge the data is transferred by Bluetooth so it would all be retrospective.

Soldato
If it's the Fitbit surge which has GPS then it could be possible any other Fitbit then no, as they don't have GPS. Even if it were the surge the data is transferred by Bluetooth so it would all be retrospective.

The intention might not be for live tracking though. You could set up the all-day sync, so that whenever he's next to his phone/pc it syncs the data, and then they'd get a view of where it had been.

Who/How was it set up? If it was set up by the kids father, and he then has access to the account, then by all means this could be something he's doing. If he doesn't have access to the account, then no he shouldn't be able to see that sort of data.

Associate
It wouldn't be possible, I have a fitbit hr which unless I have the tracker near by it won't sync at all. Via website be possible by log in but only as said if surge with gp on it.

Associate
Unless they changed it since I had a surge you had to go into the menus and select that you were doing an activity to turn the GPS on and it only lasted the duration of the activity, otherwise it was only heart rate monitoring.

I'd be more worried about him having access to his google timeline on his phone tbh.

Back
Top Bottom