Radiator cleaning

Associate
I have two coolgate 420mm radiators here, I ran hot water through them for about an hour but they were still very dirty inside:

So I filled one of them with citric acid (10%) for 30 minutes and here are the results:

It's obviously still not clean inside but I'm a little concerned about how much copper is being removed and I don't know how to proceed. Should I refill it with acid for another 30 minutes or am I risking damage?

If I leave it as is am I going to end up with nasty stuff in the loop or is what's left in there pretty well stuck in place? This is my first watercooling build and i'm starting to get a little lost... :o

Associate
just keep flushing with plain hot water until theres no more bits coming out and the water is clear then rinse with distilled

Soldato
I just stick a compression fitting on mine. Take it outside and attach it to hosepipe. Open it up and let it run for a good 10-15 minutes.

Not full pressure but enough to keep a good constant flow through the rad to wash away all the crap.

Associate
OP
Blitz kit it is then :D

I was looking at the pro version (which I assume is what everyone meant) and noticed that it states "Do not use on plated products". The plugs on the radiators are plated (black nickel I think), will that be an issue or is it just a cosmetic thing?

The rads did come with some plastic plugs to keep dirt out but I doubt they'd hold water without modification. I only have 4 plugs anyway and the rads have 5 ports.

For reference these are the rads I have: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolgate-cg420-420mm-radiator-black-wc-016-cg.html

plated_fittings.jpg

Associate
Just rinsed my new EK-PE 360's with water vinegar solution and got some flux out of them, never bothered on my Alphacool and just run pain water that has never discoloured

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom