Windows 10 question

Soldato
I had the pop up of the free upgrade ending on July 29th and wondering if I will miss out on anything if I don't upgrade? Other than being free of course.

I have had Windows 10 on many computers I've puchased and upgraded to or put on to sell, but I will never put it on my main computer, I've got used to 8.1 now after years of preferring 7, despite 8.1 compatibility mode issues with some games/programs and while win 10 has a nice interface, I just don't like it, however if I was to get a secondary computer or atleast an average laptop before end of July then I would do the upgrade if compatible, just the the sake of it, but then obviously I will be limited to hardware, for instance I have a ibm thinkcentre sff with an old P4 and ddr ram that needs fixing which I was running Windows 7 on and was eligible for win 10, but with a 200w psu and no pcie it be not use for modern games designed for 10, just about plays 720p movies smoothly and this would be the same case for anything other unless I got 2nd gaming rig like I had recently.

Soldato
The only thing you will really miss is DirectX 12, but it sounds like that is not an issue for you.

I am suprised you don't like the interface. Windows 10 is really Windows 8.2 in interface terms.

APM

APM

Associate
I got a 128GB SSD for the free upgrade and kept my original win7 install on different drive.

W10 is as buggy as hell for me after using it for a week and I'm glad I kept a win7 somewhere.

Soldato
OP
dont get me wrong some of the interface is nice, the start menu for instance, but ive got use to 8.1 now and like that menu, i was a windows 7 fanatic before i got this computer and i like the side bar feature now, but what i dont like still is compatibility mode, windows 8 would run doom 3 and gta san adreas, but not 8.1, its worse than 7 in some cases. i know windows 10 is so so with that mode too, suppose having it on weak computers/netops didnt help matters.

so basically only thing i would miss is infact dx12? app store isnt as good as 8.1 either.

Soldato
OP
I got a 128GB SSD for the free upgrade and kept my original win7 install on different drive.

W10 is as buggy as hell for me after using it for a week and I'm glad I kept a win7 somewhere.

hows that working out for you? mean i have had windows 7 & 10 on 2 drives before, but wasnt always as smooth as youd have expect like, but could be an excuse to get a cheap ssd ;)

Soldato
OP
okay quick question, as my computer came with 8.1 and i have the disc for it, if i installed it on a new drive, would it intervene with the original os setup given its on the same machine?

i know the idea is to upgrade to windows 10 as soon as, but its the only 64 bit os i own and obviously had no problem using my disc on amd gaming system i sold the other day, but that again obviously wasnt on the same system.

otherwise i only have a 32bit windows 7 i can use, but no use on a 16gb system even just for the sake of the free upgrade.

okay quick question, as my computer came with 8.1 and i have the disc for it, if i installed it on a new drive, would it intervene with the original os setup given its on the same machine?

i know the idea is to upgrade to windows 10 as soon as, but its the only 64 bit os i own and obviously had no problem using my disc on amd gaming system i sold the other day, but that again obviously wasnt on the same system.

otherwise i only have a 32bit windows 7 i can use, but no use on a 16gb system even just for the sake of the free upgrade.

From what I can see, you have three options:

1) Install Windows 10 on the separate hard drive, using your Windows 8.1 product key
2) Same as above, using your Windows 7 key (The key is not tied to 32 bit, it will also work for 64 bit)
3) Install a second Windows 8.1 installation on the separate drive, then upgrade that.

I would pick either option 1 or 2. Installing Windows on another drive and keeping your current Windows 8.1 drive as the main boot disc (setting up dual boot, using the other drive for the Windows 10 files) would probably be the best option.

I run a dual-boot on my main system between Windows 7 and 10. To be honest, I rarely use 7 these days, but it is useful to have.

Soldato
I upgraded when I was reinstalled Windows 7. Done the upgrade and used Jelly Bean Key Finder to get the Windows 10 key and then just reinstalled Windows 7.

No need to rush to Windows 10 now. :D

Caporegime
All the Windows 10 keys are the same you realise? The entitlement is based on your hardware ID, if you change your motherboard between now and when you reinstall, you will lose your entitlement.

The key you 'found' is just a generic one.

Back
Top Bottom