****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Caporegime
OP
Just realised I had forgotten all about this thread, oops. I haven't had much chance to abuse the RX100 yet, but overall I can't say I have been completely blown away by this camera. It could have been a case of expecting too much, but on a trip to Paris using the Auto modes for both cameras there were some instances where my Samsung S7 not only took better exposed indoor shots, but outdoor controlled glare and flare much better. Also, it has a much better panorama function on the S7. I am of course not saying the S7 is better than the RX100, but there were some situations where the discernible differences on Facebook-size and quality photos were not significant and in some cases in the S7's favour.

Using manual mode produces better results but after using a DSLR for so long I find it a real pain to adjust settings on the fly if I need to make any quick changes, however I guess I just need to get used to it more. :)

Soldato
Just realised I had forgotten all about this thread, oops. I haven't had much chance to abuse the RX100 yet, but overall I can't say I have been completely blown away by this camera. It could have been a case of expecting too much, but on a trip to Paris using the Auto modes for both cameras there were some instances where my Samsung S7 not only took better exposed indoor shots, but outdoor controlled glare and flare much better. Also, it has a much better panorama function on the S7. I am of course not saying the S7 is better than the RX100, but there were some situations where the discernible differences on Facebook-size and quality photos were not significant and in some cases in the S7's favour.

Using manual mode produces better results but after using a DSLR for so long I find it a real pain to adjust settings on the fly if I need to make any quick changes, however I guess I just need to get used to it more. :)

One thing I have found using the RX 100, is when shooting a panorama in direct sunlight, I get a striped/strobe like pattern across the frame. I've never come across a situation in which my S6 Edge Plus has produced better results than the Sony. I'm not sure of any major differences between the S6 and S7 though?

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato
One thing I have found using the RX 100, is when shooting a panorama in direct sunlight, I get a striped/strobe like pattern across the frame.

tbh, the in-body panorama isn't that great imo - I'll still take multiple shots and stitch them on my PC when I want a panorama.

Soldato
Going to be getting an RX100 mk1 for my west coast USA trip in September.

I'd like a slim case or pouch to keep it in, and protected. Are there any recommendations?

Any other accessories that I should be considering?

Associate
Also, after a shed load of research, bought a Sony LCS-CSQ/B. It's a really nice case. (total spend - Strap set $13 Case $8 - I don't do bespoke / enjoy being ripped off)

Associate
pps. To load a thread through those tight hanging loops you might need some help. I used some very thin vaping wire to get it to follow through.

Even at 1.5mm it's a tight fit, but once you have your mini connector on you can switch between the wrist , neck or finger loop no problem.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how to change the focus points on these cameras?

It's set to the middle point, but I really want to be able to move it.

Two steps:
menu/first tag, 2nd page/autofocus area/flexible spot

then:
3rd tab, second page/func. of center button/standard

Done! To move around focal point, press the center button first, you will see a small AF square you can move it around when done press the center button again or just half-press shutter.

Back
Top Bottom