*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
You'd need a separate modem (which you presumably already have?).

Why do you want to replace the RT-N66U? It's more than fast enough to handle a VDSL connection.

I have a Draytek Vigor 130.

If there is an active VPN connection and there's lots of traffic in and out, the CPU usage on my router sits between 90 and 100%.

Associate
Really don't know whether to get the UAP-AC-LR or the UAP-AC-PRO

is the real only difference the max speed of 5ghz?

i have trouble getting good signal in my conservatory which is only about 10m from the Sky router i have but still struggles.

Soldato
I just ordered 2 x UAP-AC-LR. Currently running 2 N66U's but I will be able to place the UAP-AC-LR much better, it's going right in the middle ceiling mounted, should also provide coverage in the garden and the garage.

Associate
I just ordered 2 x UAP-AC-LR. Currently running 2 N66U's but I will be able to place the UAP-AC-LR much better, it's going right in the middle ceiling mounted, should also provide coverage in the garden and the garage.

You will have to post bacl let us know what thew signal is like on them at the side of the N66U's.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Got my AC-pro, set it up in few minutes and this thing is amazing excellent signal strength in all rooms :)

Questions though, I can't see the option to flick between 5ghz and 2.4ghz, checked wireless settings must be missing it ?

Also do you think wpapsk with a 10 digit random password is strong enough for a wireless password ?

Soldato
Got my AC-pro, set it up in few minutes and this thing is amazing excellent signal strength in all rooms :)

Questions though, I can't see the option to flick between 5ghz and 2.4ghz, checked wireless settings must be missing it ?

Also do you think wpapsk with a 10 digit random password is strong enough for a wireless password ?

It automatically does both bands with the same SSID/password, allowing devices to move between the 2 easily.

As long as it's WPA any password is fine.

Soldato
Has anyone used any of the outdoor models? I've been considering a UniFi AP-Outdoor+ to install at the bottom of the garden for us and guests to have good WiFi when outside.
I think the 2.4GHz outdoor unit would be preferred to the 5GHz (The unit that does both is silly money unfortunately).

Associate
Im debating returning mine, however Im undecided on either getting a refund or replacement. So if anyone can compare theirs with my experience that'd be great.

Firstly- I have a ubiquiti AC LR (long range) and I have very little in the way of wireless interference from neighbours. My laptop has a an AC card and I've tried it on both windows and linux. Ive also tested it on my mobile phone and tablets.

For this speed test, you can see from the setup pic below theres not a massive distance, perhaps 6metres, however im only getting between 30-65Mbps using iperf (ie on speedtest between my wifi laptop and my wired computer), whereas im getting the full 1000Mbps when my laptop is plugged in wired(as expected).

There are two brick walls for it to pass through, however I do expect to be getting 3 or 4 times this speed, how does this compare with everyone elses speed tests?

EDIT- Again as i stated on a previous post here... maybe I do just have too high expectations

2e9B1U8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're expecting good 5GHz performance through two brick walls then your expectations probably are too high. Get it nailed onto the ceiling about where you're standing when taking the picture and it'll have some chance.

The main benefits of using an AP like this is that you can position them in an optimum location and easily manage multiples. If you're only going to buy one and then stick it on a shelf why bother?

What's the throughput in the same room as the AP, and also behind a single wall?

How does it compare to what you were previously using, and what were you using?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

5GHz and brick walls just do not mix, I found that out as well. 5GHz not only has low penetration, it also doesn't bounce very well -- both these make it perfect for high density, but terrible for long range through walls. 2.4GHz isn't going anywhere.

Soldato
I've now got one AC-LR setup, had a nightmare with the delivery of them.

I configured it really easily with the app on my phone and so far the coverage seems great.

Only thing is I can't control it with my desktop PC, it's on wired network, I installed the UniFi software but it doesn't see any devices, if I try to navigate to it's IP I just get a "This site can’t be reached- refused to connect" message.

Soldato
You don't manage these APs via their IPs. There are a few things that you can do with a direct connection, but it's very limited.

Normal process is to install the controller software and then adopt the access points you want to manage.

I'm not sure what you did using your phone. At a guess the AP believes it has already been adopted and isn't showing as available.

More details about exactly what you've done needed really.

Edit:

I've had a quick look at the phone app option.

I'd guess you've gone down the easy setup route?

You've then gone to your PC and installed the controller software which would want the APs in controller mode?

You need to decide which way you want to manage them.

My preferred option nowadays is to buy them preconfigured with a cloud based controller.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're expecting good 5GHz performance through two brick walls then your expectations probably are too high. Get it nailed onto the ceiling about where you're standing when taking the picture and it'll have some chance.

The main benefits of using an AP like this is that you can position them in an optimum location and easily manage multiples. If you're only going to buy one and then stick it on a shelf why bother?

What's the throughput in the same room as the AP, and also behind a single wall?

How does it compare to what you were previously using, and what were you using?

I was getting about 300mbps in same room as the ubiquiti, but yes I do have too high expectations. It had similar performance compared to virgin media superhub ac2.

I now have my original isp router active with the ubiquiti connected over powerlines to another point in the house along with another access point (already had two before this discussion) resulting in 3 networks. I live in a one and a half storey house so getting the cables fished into the roof is near impossible due to no upstairs attic above the roof. But I'm happy with it so far, now only limited to the speed of the powerlines (tplink av500 giving 80mbps) but ill upgrade them to a faster speed in the upcoming months or run a ethernet cable, depending how much speed im craving.

Soldato
I have my Ubiquity connected to powerline. I've got a pair of Solwise 1200's which gives me a real-world connection of around 400mb.
This is of course faster than my internet connection and faster than the wireless can provide, so is absolutely fine.
I don't data transfer over my powerline adapters - it simply gives my TV, PS3, Sky box and Ubiquity some internet connectivity.

Associate
i've just installed an AC-Pro on my landing ceiling, initial set up from pc was fine, have updated the firmware etc. Now I'm using the iphone app to access the AP, doesn't seem to be as many configuration options as the windows app, but I can't now use the windows app at all to access the AP. The AP doesn't show up at all to connect to! Am thinking about factory resetting the AP to see if that works. I need to use the Windows app to turn off the lights on the AP. Speed wise, everything seems to connect at 50Mbs or less, can't seem to get any higher speeds from it. I have a Virgin 200Mbs connection to the internet. Any tips for better performance?

Don
I have my Ubiquity connected to powerline. I've got a pair of Solwise 1200's which gives me a real-world connection of around 400mb.
This is of course faster than my internet connection and faster than the wireless can provide, so is absolutely fine.
I don't data transfer over my powerline adapters - it simply gives my TV, PS3, Sky box and Ubiquity some internet connectivity.

400Mbps through powerline? Most I've seen was someone on here with ~23MB/s transfer rate.

Associate
i have TP link Powerline adaptors, the newer 1200 models. I was getting between 130-200Mbs connection, but after having a new consumer unit installed, connection has dropped to 50Mbs. I think it's because of the dual RCDs on the CU and each ring that the plugs are on is on a different RCD.

Back
Top Bottom