• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 to GTX 1070 - Disappointed.

Associate
The GTX 1070 is substantially more powerful than a 980, and should at least offer a 40% increase in performance. It's amusing reading posts that imply otherwise.

There is either something wrong with your particular card, or your system is not utilising the GPU properly.

Associate
OP
The GTX 1070 is substantially more powerful than a 980, and should at least offer a 40% increase in performance. It's amusing reading posts that imply otherwise.

There is either something wrong with your particular card, or your system is not utilising the GPU properly.

Yes exactly, and I dont think theres anything wrong in my system as I've ran the 980 with no issues for a long time and everything was smooth. My friend has a 980Ti with the same CPU as me, the cards oc'd by 200mhz from factory and no case of bottleneck anywhere, hes getting much better scores than me with the 1070.

So in my opinion theres something not right with the card. Just not sure what?

Soldato
May sound silly but have you made sure your bios is up to date? if so try doing a clear cmos by taking the battery our for a few hours

Soldato
I wouldn't really consider the new generation 1070 to be a replacement for the 970, the 1070 on benchmarks and in games showed to be faster than the 980Ti and the Titan X, which are both relatively more powerful than a bog standard reference 980. I wasn't looking for all out performance I was looking at a boost of performance at a more reasonable price tag. The 1070 should have provided that with ease and going off of the tests that have been carried out this card should have giving me an approximate boost of about 30FPS on game such as GTA 5, which is exactly where I wanted to be as that extra 30FPS would put me in my 144FPS sweet spot for my monitor.

I think this would have been a reasonable upgrade if all worked as it should considering the card is pushing roughly the same FPS as my 980 on only 55-65% power usage on GTA. The Power Issue is something that now has to be addressed accordingly and I think that's where my biggest problem lays.

The 1070 IS the replacement for the 970.

It also has performance slightly quicker out the box than both the Titan X/ 980Ti (which is narrowed max oc vs. max oc)

The 1070 is massively faster than the 980.

Associate
Yes exactly, and I dont think theres anything wrong in my system as I've ran the 980 with no issues for a long time and everything was smooth. My friend has a 980Ti with the same CPU as me, the cards oc'd by 200mhz from factory and no case of bottleneck anywhere, hes getting much better scores than me with the 1070.

Is it possible for you to test another card in your system, perhaps your friend's?

If you can easily return the 1070, maybe you should do so and buy another.

Soldato
You should be expecting 35% on top of a stock gtx980. If you have an oc model less depending on your oc boost. It's not going to be night and day but you should be seeing the gains. In dx12 the boost should be a decent bit more.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi tosh, i too play at a lower resolution for csgo and i went from amd 390 to 1070 msi gaming edition. Mine is running great apart from csgo. I found a fix for my issue.

Try this:

right click on your desktop>Nvidia control panne Like>manage 3D settings (top left)>global settings tab> power management> change from adaptive to maximum performance

Hope this helps, It fixed my issue. I went from stuttery game to butter smooth :D.

Caporegime
Damn I never thought a CPU of this caliber could cause bottlenecking issues with a card such as 1070 :( Bad news as I dont really have a clue on what im doing when it comes to overclocking cpus :( XD

Despite what others are saying about CPU bottlenecking, if you haven't changed your CPU, you shouldn't be getting lower Min_FPS from upgrading your GPU.

That does not make rational sense.

Soldato
I've tried GTA with Vsync on and off. It doesn't seem to make any difference to frame rate or response to me, except when it is off when in menus and the map when I hit my max 100Hz it goes very glitchy. If I don't have it on everything looks a bit weird so I do have it on.

If you play GTA in Fullscreen instead of Windowed Mode you get tearing without Vsync. In Windowed Mode without Vsync there's no tearing. That may be the glitchiness/weirdness you mention. If you stand in front of something with vertical straight edges like a wall, and move from side to side, you will see the tearing more clearly.

As for not making any difference in response all I can say is I personally notice it after originally playing for months with Vsync on and then starting to do a lot of PvP in Freemode and trying Vsync off. Massive improvement. Just the other day I tried Vsync again while testing something and noticed the increase in battle lag immediately.

Soldato
To be fair I had troubles even getting the card to boot up when I first got it and had to mess about with with different pcie slots and display ports until it finally booted up on DVI. Then swapped back to top PCIE and DP and worked fine. I could try swapping back to second PCIE just to check, would that require me me to reinstall drivers or simply remove the card and place in second slot?
I'm wondering if this is a motherboard problem. What is the make and model of your current motherboard and what is the current BIOS you are running? Sometimes newer hardware needs the motherboard to have the most up-to-date BIOS to be able to take advantage of it.

Download and run GPU-Z and find out what your current PCI-E bus speed is. This can be found n the box labelled as "Bus Interface".

Associate
Slightly off topic but within bounds - why aren't you capping your games to 144fps with g sync on? Can only see wasted power and frames running cs:go totally uncapped like that!

Soldato
I cap FPS @ <144 in CSGO for GSync but I don't see OP mention having it anywhere - just 144Hz.

Also in CSGO the amount of input lag is tied to frame rate. I am happy to accept the very low amount at 140+ but many are not :p

Soldato

You keep saying you're not sure what to do. Just RMA the card over and see if it's the card. Surely after exhausting more of the obvious suggestions on here, it's worth looking at?

And as others say, I'd always look at fresh drivers install, even though you'll be installing the exact same drivers. Call me paranoid but I always do that!

Associate
OP
Hi tosh, i too play at a lower resolution for csgo and i went from amd 390 to 1070 msi gaming edition. Mine is running great apart from csgo. I found a fix for my issue.

Try this:

right click on your desktop>Nvidia control panne Like>manage 3D settings (top left)>global settings tab> power management> change from adaptive to maximum performance

Hope this helps, It fixed my issue. I went from stuttery game to butter smooth :D.

Unfortunately that's already been done with no improvement :p I was hoping it would but nope.

Associate
OP
Despite what others are saying about CPU bottlenecking, if you haven't changed your CPU, you shouldn't be getting lower Min_FPS from upgrading your GPU.

That does not make rational sense.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking, nothing has been changed anywhere apart from the GPU. Thanks.

Associate
OP
I'm wondering if this is a motherboard problem. What is the make and model of your current motherboard and what is the current BIOS you are running? Sometimes newer hardware needs the motherboard to have the most up-to-date BIOS to be able to take advantage of it.

Download and run GPU-Z and find out what your current PCI-E bus speed is. This can be found n the box labelled as "Bus Interface".

Currently at work but will try that when I get back later on this evening and will report back! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom