Worth waiting for 2016 MacBook Pro for USB-C?

fez

fez

Caporegime
It seems nailed on for release later in the year. They are just not sure if they will actually announce it at WWDC or if they will have a separate announcement on its own. Personally I think they will announce it at WWDC because some of the rumours like the OLED buttons will let developers add cool things in their apps. Its also the first big redesign for years for the rMBP so I think it might make sense at their big event of the year (other than iPhone)

Soldato
Can anyone tell me whether it's worth waiting for the new mbp? It's for my father who uses it for email, Facebook, Internet and some lightweight applications.

He currently uses a 2010 MacBook Pro and is unsure whether to buy now or wait.
I don't see Skylake vs Broadwell as much of an improvement but don't really understand this usb-c?

Associate
Can anyone tell me whether it's worth waiting for the new mbp? It's for my father who uses it for email, Facebook, Internet and some lightweight applications.

He currently uses a 2010 MacBook Pro and is unsure whether to buy now or wait.
I don't see Skylake vs Broadwell as much of an improvement but don't really understand this usb-c?

Wouldn't a Macbook rather than the Pro suffice for this sort of thing?

Soldato
I was waiting for a refreshed MacBook Pro to come along, but considering how I use my current laptop (which has just died btw) and having read this thread, I've settled on a MacBook, which I'll be picking up tomorrow. Can't wait. Although I've been using iPhones and iPads for years, I've never had a Mac before.

Associate
Still gonna wait on the mac pro. New job and want to try the Mac pro would be nice for battery power. Any idea whats going on with the pro and the air?

The MacBook Pro is likely to have an update sometime this year which should hopefully include some interesting things like Thunderbolt 3(usb-c).

I think that the MacBook Air is likely to be phased out in favour of MacBook Retina

Don
Do we have any idea when the new Pro will be released?

I'm considering getting either a Macbook Pro or a XPS 15 but can't choose between the 2 or whether to wait for the refreshed Pro to come out :/

Soldato
Do we have any idea when the new Pro will be released?

I'm considering getting either a Macbook Pro or a XPS 15 but can't choose between the 2 or whether to wait for the refreshed Pro to come out :/

Having owned both 100% go for the Macbook pro XPS 15 have serious build quality issues .... That is assuming you can get on with MAC OS , I personally love it but other people not so much.

Soldato
Personally I like OSX, but ignoring that I think the XPS15 > current Macbook Pro purely because the Macbook Pro has old hardware. CPUs not been update in a good awhile, GPU is pretty **** to be honest, screen is solid but the XPS15 can get 4K so you can run at 1080p (however last I checked scaling was hit/miss on windows). If you can wait for an update Macbook Pro that would be my best bet then since it should have a newer CPU, Type-C finally etc etc.

Don
I'm not in a massive hurry but I wouldn't want to be waiting 6 months which is why I asked if we have any idea when the new Pro would be out. I did ask in an Apple store the other day and they said they're hearing it might not be out until November/December but I suspect he could be exaggerating it to get a sale now.

Associate
Apple maybe waiting for Kaby Lake processors. The Asus Transformer is due out towards the end of the year and that will use Kaby Lake Core M.

Sky Lake or the associated chipset seems incomplete with regards to full USB 3.1 Type-C implementation. The Asus Transformer 3 with KL has USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10/20Gbps) + Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) over the USB Type-C port. All current machines are USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps) unless they have a separate controller for Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom