Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
NHS staff should work for as much as they are given not a penny more, from a fixed budget. That's how public sector works. Those who don't agree, should work elsewhere.

Except the NHS would fold with that line of thinking.

I am sure you would be of the same opinion if a loved one needed life saving treatment and the surgeons had just clocked off, because they are just working their contracted hours.

Soldato
Yes just when campaigning had started, so that's expected.

The true comparison would be back around mid 2015 as discussion on our EU membership had started, it was around 1.55 then. So yes it's taken a massive nosedive.

Indeed. Comparing 24 hours doesn't tell us much.

What happens next is things stabilise and grt back to normal.

Might be a dodgy few years till everything is negotiated but so what.

"Get back to normal" you say? Normal was UK in the EU. The new normal will not be as rosy, this is why the market shed £20+ billion today.

Last edited:
Soldato
immigration

giphy.gif

Permabanned
I have presented this question to at least a dozen Leavers tonight. None of them could answer it. They all cling to this vague hope that 'everything will be OK now.' Not a single one of them even shows any hint of appreciating the scale of the problem.

A lot of deprived areas that have voted leave are in for a rude awakening, so much EU funding has gone into these areas which a far right tory government will not continue to fund.

Soldato
I am sure you would be of the same opinion if a loved one needed life saving treatment and the surgeons had just clocked off, because they are just working their contracted hours.

I think many services might have solved this problem already with something called "shifts"... you see by overlapping the contracted hours of multiple staff it's possible to provide uninterrupted coverage where it would otherwise be impractical/impossible...

Soldato
Surely borrowing costs will go up?

Nah, the rates on our gilts actually went down. The UK is seen a safe bet to buy debt in when times are uncertain. Brexit has had a worse impact on the continent than in the UK, so money moves from there to here, and so our debt gets cheaper.

The credit rating agencies are a guide, but the market frequently contradicts them.

Associate
Except the NHS would fold with that line of thinking.

It's just like ANY other job. And don't start with the "loved ones". Am I supposed to wish someone die in hospital because they aren't the loved one. That's blackmailing people. In fact NHS staff cares about their patients hardly more than a trucker about their truck.

Soldato
Where did you get that from. Article 50 will start this year and it will take a max of 2 years to finish.

Head of the EU wants it done before that.

Johnson said that he's in no hurry to trigger Article 50, it's never been used but exit can be delayed if agreed by the other members. They can push, but I guess they will wait to see if a few other country's start their own referendums to leave. Could put a lot of pressure on the EU commission.

Associate
A lot of deprived areas that have voted leave are in for a rude awakening, so much EU funding has gone into these areas which a far right tory government will not continue to fund.

In UK I don't see anything getting any funding if not on commercial basis. There were no freebies, and there will be none, as you saying.

Soldato
Why slightly embarrassed? We've been an excellent example of democracy with a fantastic voter turnout to boot.
Because I fully believe that with the relatively slim margin of victory, that xenophobia and racism easily attributed to enough swing in the vote to get a win for the Leave campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom