Guys need help with tubing and compression fittings

Associate
Hi All.

in middle of putting my new system together and have run into a problem..

I have these fittings (as sold in the pack my OCUK)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-acf-fitting-12-16mm-nickel-wc-771-ek.html

And this tubing

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/primochill-primoflex-advanced-tubing-16-11-clear-wc-107-pm.html

this was bought as per the below OCUK bundle

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-v12-watercooling-kit-360-bu-080-tl.html

problem i am having is that although the tubing goes over the bard no problem I am having real trouble getting the sleeve over the tubing enough to reach the threads to screw it in place.. am i doing something wrong or have OCUK put parts in a bundle that don't work?

the tubing is rated as 16/11 size and the page says fittings are 16/11 but if you look on the 16/11 page for the fittings for EK they say 16/12 not 16/11?

im confused

Soldato
I just put a loop together using some of them and the XSPC ones next to it, they were a bit tougher to screw the EK ones in than the XSPC ones, what i did was keep a cup of hot water and dip the end of the pipe in just before i put it onto the barb. It softens and wets the end of the pipe making it much easier to tighten the fittings. Its an old trick we used to use years ago for getting 16/10 pipe onto 1/2" barbs so we didnt need clamps. Not sure if its a recommended way of doing it but it worked for me.

edit: I have no idea if the fittings are correct btw, i just bought them second hand and used that 16/11 pipe as the previous user said its what he used.

Soldato
Only thing i can think of. You may have pushed the tube on to far and the end of the tube is bulging out. If this is the case, pull the tube back a fraction and see if it fits.

I hope this helps, if not i am sure someone with more Knowledge will be along soon.

It may just be that the product description is old and EK have have released a new version of the fitting since.

Associate
OP
i'll give the warm water a go..

just cant work out how OCUK can put the fittings as 16/11 on the package page then they say 16/12 on the fittings page..

Associate
Well my stuff hasn't arrived yet but I've just ordered the same tubing and fitting as you.
I too was very confused about them showing as 16/12. I'll give the warm water a go when I get my stuff if it's a struggle.

Associate
OP
well that aint good..

pretty much tore my hands apart tonight trying to get fittings on..

once the tubing goes over the barb even the tiniest amount its really hard to get the neck over to screw down.. really dont trust the four i have done before running out of tubing.

Soldato
Hmm i gotta admit i didnt find it that difficult, i dunno what to say. Maybe cause i got the fittings used they were easier to turn. I had some other fittings that were really hard to turn but i stuck a bit of washing up liquid on them and they soon loosened up.

Associate
OP
right guys unless i am going mad the 16/11 refers to the inner and out diameter of the tubing..

Does this look like 16mm??

i do hope this has not damaged any of the threads i have struggles to get on as this is what OCUK supplied me with stating it was 16/11.. there are no markings on the tubing

WP_20160626_08_51_50_Pro-e1466927726662.jpg

Soldato
Yeah thats probably id1/2 od3/4 tubing, i just checked my primochill 11/16 and is is exactly 16mm. No wonder your having problems getting that stuff on.

Back
Top Bottom