Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've had a fair few emails from customers over the weekend.

1) What the hell is going to happen with data protection laws in the intervening period between leaving and getting a treaty established? I have pan-European customers who use our services here who don't know if they can continue hosting stuff in the UK in the next two years.

2) The number of businesses saying that their clients are looking to decamp to Europe and that they'll have to follow them is about a dozen so far. I expect more to follow as the multiplier effect spreads out. It's not too much of an issue while we're still inside but I am totally blind to see what's going to happen after a couple of years, do I have to open a European branch?

3) The more general feeling is that London is going to get hammered with jobs losses as multinationals start stepping out of the city. That's bad news for the country as a whole.

Soldato
The people it will hurt the most are hardworking people looking at mortgages and families.

Like Andrew marr has said it probably wont be as good as they hope or as bad as they fear. Probably.

This hysteria whilst to be expected is not helping

That is because nobody knows how bad it will be. We will take a hit for up to ten years but will it be better after that or will it just be the start? Nobody knows.
The ordinary people always get the **** end of the stick. BJ, Gove, Cameron will do OK.

Don
remember as lammy has said , its not legally binding (unlike the Scottish one) - so it could be used as a huge opinion poll.....

There will be riots if they overturn it or try to use it as an opinion poll. I don't think anyone truly believes that we won't end up leaving. The issue is how long is it going to take and how badly is the economy going to be hit in the short to medium term.

Soldato
?? One of the biggest threats the no camp threw at the Scottish people was that there would be no guarantee we could join the EU and that it's better to be in the UK that is already in the EU :/

They said that a Yes vote would result in them having to apply to join the EU as a new country (and accept all the rules that come with that like accepting the Euro as their currency). It was a fact check on the idea being put forward by the SNP that they could just inherit their EU membership from the UK.

It was a reactive response to an inaccurate claim, not a proactive argument from the No camp. Furthermore the promise of an EU In/Out referendum was already on the table should the Tories get in before the Scots voted, so they knew full well there was a possibility the UK could vote to leave the EU later on, and still chose to stay.

Besides, whatever happens the Scots will have to leave the EU before it can re-join it. This idea they can stay and replace the UK's place under the same conditions, like asking someone leaving a carpark if you can have the time left on their ticket, is pure fantasy. They will have to rejoin, which means having to use the Euro and even the SNP aren't stupid enough not to know the Scots want to keep the pound (another one of the big issues from the last independence referendum).

Soldato
There will be riots if they overturn it or try to use it as an opinion poll. I don't think anyone truly believes that we won't end up leaving. The issue is how long is it going to take and how badly is the economy going to be hit in the short to medium term.

leaving the EU - but not leaving Europe ; something I think the leavers don't fully understand (well most of them)

Suspended
It has to be said again as people seem to forget, we have an opt out. We don't have to be part of a EU force. We are a member of a bigger organisation called NATO.

You mean like at present/recent past where we used a French aircraft carrier as we have none ourselves for the moment.

Could you be any more patronising? I served 14 years in the Army, I don't need you telling me about NATO FFS. And NATO isn't an Army, it's simply a mutual defence organisation. Hardly the same thing.

The fact an opt out may exist doesn't mean the Government of the day would use it and it also doesn't preclude the creation of an EU armed forces via some other mechanism or underhand political scheme. For the second time today, I don't trust them.

Soldato

Did anyone read the last paragraph of that article? It pretty much sums up how our position in the EU will become the more we exclude ourselves from certain EU policies we don't like. We are already looked on as only having one foot in the EU due to our resistance of adopting the Euro.

The closer the EU moves towards a federal Europe, the more we will (rightly) resist, and the worse our position would become.

As someone posted earlier, in many ways the remain voters are just as delusional as the leave ones, not looking to the future of what the EU is moving towards and wants to become but thinking more of the here and now and that the UK's position within would stay as it is.

Caporegime
It's quite upsetting how this referendum result has somehow given people who previously had to repress their racist views an idea that they are now the majority and so it's acceptable.

Soldato
2) The number of businesses saying that their clients are looking to decamp to Europe and that they'll have to follow them is about a dozen so far. I expect more to follow as the multiplier effect spreads out. It's not too much of an issue while we're still inside but I am totally blind to see what's going to happen after a couple of years, do I have to open a European branch?

I'd love to see how many businesses saying they'll move actually do, and how many are just run by huge remain supporters throwing their toys out of the pram because they've just been told they can't have their favourite flavour of ice cream.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
only via the EU not directly

if le pen wins next year , between her and merkel the uk would have an easier time of elaving the EU - the EEA (if a few more agreements can be modified ala lichenstein) is more akin to what was voted for in 1975.

Heres a thought : those born in the 50`s and 60`s remember the promises made in 1975 because they WERE the young then! They remember , about how glorious the EEC would be - well they have lived with it for 41 years , seen how its grown far far beyond the question asked then and evolved into something they didnt want *federalism* , maybe , just maybe they voted LEAVE now , because they saw what went wrong and are actually looking out for the young now with the ` dont **** it up because we did and want to fix this`

Indeed,

Remember that Heath admitted in his latter years that the long term plans of the EU were deliberately concealed on the grounds that had the British people known back in 1975 what voting to join the EEC really meant, We would have been unlikely to have gone for it.

Is it really any surprise that those of us who supported the idea back then no longer do so.
Conjuring up reasons after the fact to make yourselves look less stupid. This reasoning was what I expected from the seniors, but not one of you said anything remotely close to this with any conviction, or even articulation before the vote.

Soldato
Despite all the vitriol being aimed at the Tories and specifically those campaigning for a leave vote, it's actually Labour who've lost this one.

As stated many times, it's those we traditionally refer to as the working classes who will be hit the hardest yet they've voted in their masses to leave. How many interviews and sound bites do we hear from people blaming immigration for everything and that the EU does nothing for them. These are, by and large, staunch Labour voters and it was Labour's job to get the message across to them about how they'd be affected by a decision to leave. Under Corbyn's (total lack of) leadership, they failed completely and thus the referendum was lost.

Was that a good ploy? This is now seen as a blue on blue argument and the blue will take the hit.

Soldato
It's quite upsetting how this referendum result has somehow given people who previously had to repress their racist views an idea that they are now the majority and so it's acceptable.

Is that happening, or is it just there have always been horrible racists doing horrible racist things and they are being highlighted more in the wake of the vote (mainly by left wing outlets with a point to prove) where they would have been ignored and not given a platform before?

Soldato
I've had a fair few emails from customers over the weekend.

1) What the hell is going to happen with data protection laws in the intervening period between leaving and getting a treaty established? I have pan-European customers who use our services here who don't know if they can continue hosting stuff in the UK in the next two years.

3) The more general feeling is that London is going to get hammered with jobs losses as multinationals start stepping out of the city. That's bad news for the country as a whole.

This is why they need to move fast and adapt whatever model they choose, so uncertainty goes.
This is vital.

Also don't worry, James Dyson will no doubt be so delighted at the result, he might start employ some folks in the UK instead of Malaysia. Oh wait. No he won't :D

Caporegime

The media are going out of their way to only interview people who are either clueless, racist, or downright thick.

I for one am sick of the news trying to emulate reality TV. Am I watching BBC news or Big Brother? It's hard to tell at times.

Their "ordinary people on the street" are anything but. They are always people giving unbalanced or provocative opinions.

News sucks these days.

Soldato
I'd love to see how many businesses saying they'll move actually do, and how many are just run by huge remain supporters throwing their toys out of the pram because they've just been told they can't have their favourite flavour of ice cream.
JP Morgan have already committed to moving large numbers of staff starting next week. A few of our clients do work for them.

Large companies hate uncertainty just as much as the rest of us and they have the capacity to actually do something about it pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom