Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
When my parents came here the UK government actively asked foreigners to come here as they needed people to fill the labour force. Do you think racists will tell the difference? Nah.

But at least you're honest about your true colours, eh?

Did you actually understand what was written?

My bet is no.

Caporegime
I don't agree with that. The EU has the power of 27 central banks as well as the ECB. We have one central bank. They're trying to back us into a corner so that negotiating will ultimate benefit them. They may be bluffing, but it's one hell of a powerful position for us to ignore.

This is not correct, there is only one central bank for the Eurozone. Germany, for example, does not have a separate central bank.

Associate
Why? Seriously why. We have 66 million people here to do a flipping job.

Who would monitor the borders?
Where would the money come from?
How would you watch everyone who you did allow in to make sure they left again?
How would you replace the people who left (assuming people can still leave if they want to)?
How would you persuade the population that all the controls and paperwork they had to fill in to go on holiday were worth it?

Giz

Man of Honour
OP
Stephen Farry just put it well. "Take back control? There is no control. Boris Johnson is scrambling around looking for the pin to put back in the hand grenade he's just set off."

Caporegime
From 2014 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30417950
The NHS would be "in dire straits" without migrant workers, one of the UK's senior economists has claimed.

Stephen Nickell, who is on the board of the Office for Budget Responsibility, suggested 35% of "health professionals" came from outside the UK.

Can you tell me the % of immigrants in the last 30 years who are immigrants?

Soldato
They just want article 50 invoked that's all. But that's Cameron's fault.

You are forgetting almost all the establishment do not want it invoked, even some of the Leavers. I think there will be a lot of background discussion on how to get out of doing that with the least damage.

Soldato
I don't agree with that. The EU has the power of 27 central banks as well as the ECB. We have one central bank. They're trying to back us into a corner so that negotiating will ultimate benefit them. They may be bluffing, but it's one hell of a powerful position for us to ignore.

The last thing you should ever do in this situation is to underestimate risk.

"The really heavy losses are on the other side of the English Channel. Madrid’s IBEX 35 is down by 12.5 per cent. Milan’s MIB is down by 11 per cent. In Paris the CAC-40 is off by 8.4 per cent and even Germany’s mighty DAX is off by 7 per cent. In short, the losses across Europe are far worse than ours"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/brexit-worse-europes-economy/

Soldato
Have to screencap this, otherwise my mates won't believe me when I tell them.

Rather than being facetious at my expence. Answer the question, last time I checked the country is capable of surviving without Europe.
They won't cut ties completely, things might rise in price on imports but that might be a price to pay for change in other areas. It's almost like some people feel that we live litterally on a desert island constantly waiting for the next food parcel from the lovely Europeans.

Caporegime
Deuse - are you justifying racism on the basis that worse instances have occurred? How is that a rational statement to make in the slightest?

It isn't worth asking questions like this, its why he is on my ignore list... Though seeing the post you have quoted sickens me. What an absolute [insert insult which wont get me banned]

Soldato
One of the differences here is that some countries seem to be almost gleefully trying to take advantage of the situation against us :S and we really are in unknown territory.

There will be some in the EU who are peed off at Britain's continual demands for rebates, opt outs etc and who cannot believe their luck at this point.

Soldato
What do you want people to do about it? You are in Oz, I am too old to go picking a punch up with a group of layabouts, and most people are too wrapped up in their own problems to do other than tut and move along.

You don't need to get involved in a punch-up. Depending on the severity of the incident, you could contact the police and/or support the victim(s) afterwards.

But be vocal that the perpetrators behaviour is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom