• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU & Motherboard for the budget minded

Soldato
I've got a spare machine that is used by many which is now showing it's age. I cannot remember what CPU is installed in there, however it is a dual-core and its becoming rather slow.
Estimation - it's gotta be about 6-7 years old, it not older.
Other components are more modern - it's obviously had a new PSU recently.

So, for the budget minded who wants CPU, motherboard & RAM.
Needs to be able to do all the boring stuff however it will be used for games, however NOT FPS intensive, CPU intensive FullHD gaming.
Rather the SWTOR's, the WOW's, the Elite Dangerous games not at massive resolutions.
However as this is a spare machine, budget has to be in mind.
I've been 100% Intel all my life - more than willing to go the AMD route.

Ta

Soldato
You didn't say what your budget was though.

You can use something like CPU-Z to find out what CPU it is.

If you really don't want to spend that much, it may be a better idea to replace the HDD with a SSD and do a clean install of Windows. A fresh install can do wonders.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, you're right - I didn't mention a budget.
Kind of purposely really :)
If I give a budget what usually happens is people immediately hit the top-end or start going "just over".

So if I said there was a budget of £60 for a CPU & motherboard (I'll leave memory out as that is actually something I can probably sort) I'm going to guess people will point me to second hand?

If I say £100 does that get me into the "new" category?
If I increase that further to £125.....

So somewhere from the £60 - £125 - not bothered on new or if I should be seeking second hand.

Soldato
OP
OK, my information for this thread was poor - so I decided to spend silly hours researching over what is going to be very entry point.#
To give you an idea of the current CPU:

Core 2 6600 (2.4Ghz)

To keep the budget nice and low, I think I'll take the:

Intel G4400 CPU
&
MSI H110M MB

Around £100 for the pair. A mate of mine is going to spot me 8GB of DDR4.
The machine has a GeForce GTX670 installed.
I know - nothing to exactly go mental about, but should offer enough for the requirement of general use and "light gaming".

Associate
OK, my information for this thread was poor - so I decided to spend silly hours researching over what is going to be very entry point.#
To give you an idea of the current CPU:

Core 2 6600 (2.4Ghz)

To keep the budget nice and low, I think I'll take the:

Intel G4400 CPU
&
MSI H110M MB

Around £100 for the pair. A mate of mine is going to spot me 8GB of DDR4.
The machine has a GeForce GTX670 installed.
I know - nothing to exactly go mental about, but should offer enough for the requirement of general use and "light gaming".

You'll be able to get much better performance going for used components. You can pick up a i5 2400 off ebay for around £50 and then a cheap 1155 board will do the trick and perform much better.

Back
Top Bottom