• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Currently have 780

Associate
OP
Many thanks for the advice guys. I have decided to go with a 1070 which I will be ordering this week. My PC currently flies with games like Witcher 3 on High settings (60FPS and over for the most part) so I really look forward to pumping my games up to Ultra.

As I said I only play at 1080p so this should last me a while now.

Thanks again.

Soldato
No way should you buy a 980ti new when the 1070 isn't much more money.

They may perform similarly at the moment, but the 1070 will pull clear in the future with driver updates and newer games.

Only makes sense to get a 980ti if you can find one at a good price used.

Although to be honest, a 780 should absolutely fly at 1080p. Mine does pretty well at 1440p.

Associate
Good call about the Kepler gimping, luckily Maxwell and Pascal are very similar architecturally so the only thing Pascal really can tout over it's older sibling will be a couple of fps extra under certain scenarios in DX12 from it's pre-emption.

Yea, I had a 780 Lightning. Great card but just wasn't performing as well as it should have been. Still miss that card.

Associate
I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship and getting rx480 to replace my 780 till the full fat 1080ti comes out, nvidia are taking the **** with prices atm, and the rx480 seems to be a steal at the price, at least to get rid of the your Gpu is not supported in oculus, even though it's running fine

Soldato
No way should you buy a 980ti new when the 1070 isn't much more money.

They may perform similarly at the moment, but the 1070 will pull clear in the future with driver updates and newer games.

As people have stated above they're very similar architecture wise so it's not likely to pull ahead by much to be honest, if at all. It may a little but it's probably only going to be in the 1-5% range.

The 980Ti is actually a really good buy - especially at 1440p - at 359.99 especially when you can get an Asus strix for that price. But at 1080p it's honestly neither here nor there.

Getting a 1070 also feeds nvidia and justifies the cost of the 1070 which I think we all agree is too high.

If it was me I'd get a 980Ti but I play at 1440 where the 980Ti is faster when both are overclocked. There isn't really a right or wrong choice.

Back
Top Bottom