Lay-Z Spa's Any Good?

Associate
We had one, they are great but do need the same amount of maintenance as a proper hot tub, you need to keep an eye on chemicals (If done correctly water is good for 1-3 months) and more importantly have it on heating all the time, it takes around 16 hours for a tub to reach the right temperature so if your going to turn it off in between it makes it pointless as you need to know 24 hours beforehand you might fancy using it.

Downers on it were the pump is loud (Might be better with latest models) and it can and will get punctured.

We loved ours and only got shot when we moved onto a real hot tub

Associate
I've got an Intex one, but I imagine will be similar to the lay-z spa range.

We love ours, but as MikeB mentioned it still requires the same amount of effort that goes in to a proper hot tub. You'll need to check the water on a regular basis and adjust the chemicals accordingly. If you do this then the water should last a decent amount of time (depends on how much you use and how many people you squeeze in to it ;) ) So long as you're willing to put in a the effort for maintaining it I'd say it's definitely worth it.

You can't use it when the temperature falls below 4, or you risk damaging the pumps, so definitely not all year round.

Again another thing to remember is the running cost. It really needs to be left on all the time to keep the temperature up. Ours clicks on when the temp drops below what we set, then switches to filter mode once it reaches the correct temp. The cost seems to run about £10 a week (but depends on your usage, supplier and tariff)

I can see the image might be a problem with the cheaper models, but the newer, more expensive ones seem to mimic a proper hot tub now, definitely don't feel the one I have being overly chavvy. It's a good alternative if you don't want to fork out several thousand for a proper one or a stop gap to getting a proper tub.

Soldato
We've got one of the big lay-z-spa units (2m across) and it's great. The chemicals are fairly easy to keep on top of (we put one of the chemical tablets into the filter head so it's always getting a fresh dose), not sure about running costs as we juggle the heat between our solar PV and topping up with hot water from the gas boiler (kids make sure the tub needs a top up fairly regularly.

We built a wooden frame around ours so it doesn't look awful, apart from our terrible carpentry skills that is.

13417619_10156872662080315_630254232782897552_n.jpg

We bought this one to see if we were "hot tub people", loved the idea, loved having one with a cabin on holiday, but would we actually use it when we had it all the time? Safer to test things with £400 than drop £2000+ and realise that we only use it twice a month.

Associate
I've just got out of my intex one :D

For the money you really can't knock it. One thing to bear in mind with the lazy spa ones is that you can't have the bubbles AND the heater on at the same time. Something to check if your going to purchase one

Associate
My wife is obsessed with getting one of these Lay-Z Spa's. Does anyone here have one?

Are they any good
Can they be left out each year
Do you need to change the water each time you use it?

Tony

I have the Lay-Z Spa Vegas and that stary up all year round. It comes with an inflatable lid and a cover that goes over that and clips down to stop wind from blowing it away. We leave ours up all year round but our weather is slightly different to the UK. Ours comes with a Filter which is also a heater so you can heat the water up to around 36 degrees (its like getting in a bath).

Out here in Cyprus we have our Pools up from may through to october and we have to clean/add chlorine every week. you have to use a Ph testing kit to tell you what the pool needs but its not a huge amount of maintenance.

The Spa is pretty much the same (use the kit to tell you if you need to add any more chlorine etc).

We plan to buy a new one for when we move back to the uk as this ones had some good use over the last year or 2 :D

Back
Top Bottom