• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Caporegime
Well Kyle has apparently just said he's hearing from AIB's that 1400-1600Mhz is very possible on custom cards though it's a bit of a silicon lottery in what it would do.

91C doesn't suggest running hot, or not, it depends entirely on the fan speed/noise being used. 1.5% clock lower was running at 83c and from every other leak it would suggest that level of heat at a low fan speed, none of which points to running hot, just quiet while on a tiny cooler.

A chip itself running hot means a giant heatsink and high fan speed are required to keep it stable let alone cool. A tiny heatsink and low fan speed and running at 83C doesn't suggest hot, it suggests it's running warm on a cheap heatsink, nothing else.

Well the only version today apparently is the reference board so that's what will be judged in terms of thermals and overclocking. If third party boards can do better i'm surprised amd never made a push for them to be out at the same time as the reference card.

Associate
TOT video seems a retail card with CD driver and 1% overclock is just like all the previous leaks having issues with overclocking. Nobody questioning why it only got 1% overclock then in the video its compared to a good overclocked 970.

Yet people still mock the possibility of proper PRESS DRIVERS adding performance?

Not expecting miracles but just as predicted this thread has had so much "jump in the box" reactions to 1 review that still is not confirmation of the full potential of the card, whatever it may be.

Also soon X-Fire results will be known, regardless if the card only maintains a general 970 performance it is still going to sell like crazy.

Don't just look at one card. Look at the other cards it was compared against.

Caporegime
You have to factor in drivers. Completely new architecture has the potential to gain performance as the drivers mature.

Maybe so but that's always the war cry, performance will improve. Invariably it does but at the same time you'd think they would want to put their best foot forwards with drivers to give the card the best possible showing on its release. Release day reviews make or break the card, so they should have polished drivers for it then and not try to make a song and dance about increased performance 6 months down the line when nobody cares anymore.

Soldato
I used to have one but I sold it in preparation for a 480. Mini-itx you see so heat is much more of an issue.

I'd love to go itx to be honest but that would mean a whole heap of new stuff I'd need. A graphics card of relatively low expense could be ninjad in un noticed.

Back
Top Bottom