• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
I still don't think there is such a thing as a bad card, if the price is right.

Unfortunately the lower exchange rate and day 1 price gouging are making this card seem far worse than it is.

I suspect once we see some good custom cooled versions, some driver improvements, and less price gouging (and hopefully better exchange rate) these will seem like a better purchase.

I feel like buying one of these now is not a good proposition, the reference cooler seems naff and the price is just a little too high.

I'm not in the market for a new card anyway, but if I was, I will never get caught out buying a reference cooled card from AMD again, especially after getting a 290 reference on launch...

Last edited:
Permabanned
What I find funny is that no one's complaining so much that the 1070 is basically at 980ti levels and not faster when this here is the same situation.

It's not the same situation at all.

I dont want to trash on the card, cuz it's not 'bad', but yea, it was way overhyped and more like the bare minimum of what we could have expected performance-wise.

Exactly.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice, one.
So in short, on average it's around 30% slower than 1070 for less than half price, or 10% slower (5fps average) than 980 for £100 less (50% less).

Looks good value to me.

he's quoting prices for the 4GB model but the benchmarks are for the 8GB model. Needs fixed

Soldato
Funny way to look at it. The 1070 is 50% faster than the RX480 going by that graph.

Another way to look at it is that both the 480 and the 1070 are about 50% faster than their predecessors, the 380 and 970.

In effect AMD has gained as much performance as Nvidia has with their new cards. If the 480 had exactly the same sp's, rops, etc as the 390X then the performance should be 50% more making it faster than a TitanX and maybe even catching upto a 1080.

Can't really complain but still wanted the 480 to come close to the 390X/980. Maybe the AIB versions will achieve that at a decent price.

Soldato
Another way to look at it is that both the 480 and the 1070 are about 50% faster than their predecessors, the 380 and 970.

In effect AMD has gained as much performance as Nvidia has with their new cards. If the 480 had exactly the same sp's, rops, etc as the 390X then the performance should be 50% more making it around TitanX if not higher.

Can't really complain but still wanted the 480 to come close to the 390X/980. Maybe the AIB versions will achieve that at a decent price.

And AMD didn't decide to suddenly increase the price by 50% compared to last gen for no reason because of that :).

It is close to 980, stop looking at the length of graphs and read the numbers. Do you really think you'd be able to tell the difference between 56 and 51 FPS or 30 and 32FPS?

I mean, realistically, if you played the same game on both with no FPS meter shown, you wouldn't have a clue which one is which, it's hardly any difference. I could put in a 480 in your PC and tell you it's a 980gtx and you won't be able to tell from the performance.

Associate
In the end my wife ordered me one, albeit not from OCUK as they had gone up to £240... (?!)

Anyway it will do for now, and I hope drivers may improve. If something on Nvidia side drops significantly in price or the more powerful AMD cards offer a little more then I will upgrade then.

I just hope it doesn't majorly suck. :eek:

EDIT: WTF I couldn't see any RX 480 when I manually searched for it... Now I can see links to loads on the other thread? Now I'm annoyed I didn't get from OCUK... FFS. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
For most people bang for buck matters and the RX480 is punching above it's weight in that regard: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/20.html

Looks like it's a strong card for the market it's in - keeping in mind it's a midrange card trading blows with a previously high end card.

Honestly I would have liked to see a bit more oomph but hopefully the AIB's will fix that. :)

Back
Top Bottom