Windows 10 upgrade over RDP

Associate
Has anyone tried doing a Windows 10 upgrade over RDP and if so did you have to do anything different? My storage pc is tucked away with no monitor keyboard/mouse and is not easily accessable. I would like to upgrade but only if this can be done via rdp or maybe teamviewer etc?

Soldato
Is it a vPro PC? I don't see why the RDP shouldn't work if it's an upgrade. It'll just inaccessible whilst it's upgrading out of the OS. I've done a few over teamviewer for friends which work fine after a few hours after not being able to connect.

Associate
OP
From upgrading a few others it prompts for privacy settings etc and presumably you wont be able to connect in at that point, will these just default after a while then?

Soldato
I don't see what those privacy settings have to do with the network connection or RDP/Teamviewer or the firewall. Aren't they just relating to Internet Explorer/Edge?

If you're upgrading a system with RDP access already on it should still be enabled after the upgrade.

Caporegime
The setup asks you questions and a user account and things, which all happens before booting into Windows. It has network, but I seriously doubt it has RDP at that point.

Look at creating a headless automated install USB that answers all the questions for you. I used to do that all the time with XP and 7.

Caporegime
The problem is you are beyond the point of no return if you try it and it doesn't work.

How difficult is it to plug a keyboard and monitor into your server? I have a headless server too but dug it out and plugged it into my monitor to do the upgrade to 10 just to be sure.

Associate
I've just upgraded a Windows 10 machine to the latest build headless using VNC. After the upgrade I was prompted for a few privacy settings which I was able to configure over a VNC session. I haven't tested it but I would be surprised if the method doesn't work upgrading Windows 7 to 10.

Soldato
Can i sneak in a question?

Can one do a fresh install of Win 10 without upgrading if one has the Win 7 Product Key?

If you get the latest ISO from the windows 10 USB tool you should be able to do this and no longer have to go from a previous OS

Back
Top Bottom