I have been suspended from work today.

Soldato
There's a good chance you're suspended to keep you away from a situation that has happened and your involvement in a prodcedure is either being investigated or being kept out of the loop so you can be a witness to whatever has happened... then again knowing the company from having family working there your manager has been busted for not following new procedures and you're being thrown under the bus to cover for them.

Soldato
Agree with previous comments about recording. Unless you are going to inform the people present that you are recording then it has no legal basis at all.

You may choose to record discretely purely for the purposes of transcribing the meeting for your own records in your own time.

I had a colleague who pulled the whole "well I recorded you so I can prove you said this" and whilst their point was valid, I was incorrect with what I noted down, it did not work in their favour at all. I do not recommend recording, instead just ensure everything is documented and make any alterations to their notes if you feel they do not reflect what has been said.

Soldato
I'm betting something bigger has gone on, and like others say - you're being kept out of the loop to make things easier for an investigation,

I've seen people do "bad things" before and watched as they've been marched off the premises immediately, I'm relatively sure that if it was a "serious incident" you'd certainly know about it, and they wouldn't be messing around..

Soldato
Definitely take a witness in with you, you are legally allowed and if they refuse you a witness, then you can refuse the meeting.

Associate
Legally, you have to notify the caller that you are recording the call in this country.

Not strictly true.

I once asked a solicitor friend of mine about this and he said it would be down to a court to decide whether to allow it or not; even if a recording was made without full disclosure, it could still be used 'as evidence'.

I'd initially go in with an open and helpful demeanour. No point in rocking the boat too soon. Establish some facts and if it looks heavy, then simply ask if you can end the meeting and replan when you've 'lawyered up'. Or make an excuse, like this is all too much and you feel sick... ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh, I got one of these. Then an interview. Then I got fired! I signed on for precisely one week before I started another job much better much nicer people. I'm glad they gave me the boot! Thanks so much.

Soldato
The first few words of the letter read a little oddly to me.

They say that "As a result of the incident on 03.07.2016.... " which implies to me that the person who wrote the letter is assuming that the OP was aware of this particular 'incident', which he says he wasn't, and which apparently occurred while he was not even at work anyway!

It does all sound rather strange, and I do hope that this story will have a happy ending!

Caporegime
Maybe it's about those posts you made about managers being moved around for no reason. ;)

As above though the letter is worded quite oddly / poorly. Hope it goes well for you.

Associate
once got suspended for a day with full pay too but that was because the entire's department's network security had been compromised and they didnt want any to come in and fiddle with it while the security experts were doing their investigation. hopefully alls good with you

Soldato
this thread better deliver

I'm hoping for "op drank a bottle of vodka then had sexy time with a melon in isle 3... " not "it all turned out to be an administrative error"

Back
Top Bottom