Plug and play ?

Associate
OP
plenty of choices for a graphics card again it just depends on budget. The gtx970's have dropped in price.

Ive been tempted to get a 2nd one to go sli but My thoughts are my lad needs an upgrade from his 7950 so I could go for a 1070 and hell get my 970.

I looked at gtx 970 but now I've read a bit more into it a workstation graphics card would suit my requirements better. Work as a design engineer and I need a computer that can run solidworks for uni work as well as potential contract work in future

Associate
If it's for Uni work and then potential future contract work, then try to get the cheapest certified card you can. At this point, the Quadro K620 and FirePro W4100 would be the best value. Both are certified for SolidWorks but they're at the bottom end of the scale.

If things took off and you needed a more powerful card, then The Quadro K2200 and FirePro W5100 are good cards without breaking the bank.

If you're willing to go second-hand, you may be able to get a used K2200/K2000 for the same price as a K620. I'm not sure what the 2nd hand market for workstation cards is like.

Associate
OP
had a bit of a nightmare last night / today . PC decided to do 227 plus updates. PC then failed to configure updates then the whole operating system died.Been faffing about formatting drives and messing about in command prompt. after 4 hours finally got it working again , not to sure how long for though. hopefully there are no more updates.

edit:

been looking at graphics cards and sort of stuck between : AMD w5100 , Nvidia quadro k2200 and Nvidia m2000 not to sure what im looking at but from my understanding they are very similar

Last edited:
Associate
Which OS are you on? I turn off automatic updates for that reason. I run Windows Update on a weekly basis and choose which ones it does.

Associate
No, don't turn them off. Under the Windows Update settings there should be an option to allow it to check for updates, but not download them. You can then choose to download and install them at your leisure rather than have the computer suddenly go crazy and try and do tons at once.

Windows Update for 7 and even 8/8.1 is kinda broken now, not really sure why. I'm actually surprised your system even managed to connect to the update server from a clean install. In fact that could be why it totally screwed up.

The FirePro W5100 and Quadro K2200 are the AMD/Nvidia equivalents. They're the basic mid-range workstation cards. We have the previous generation, the K2000 at work. I'm not familiar with the m2000.

If you want to save some money, get the W5100. It is fully certified for SolidWorks, it's probably also certified for Inventor etc. If you would rather invest in a K2200, then fair enough but it is a fair bit more.

Associate
OP
Been a while since i posted everything was going swimmingly .now when i boot pc an american megatrends screen laods saying failed to overclock.ive done no overclocking at all . can anyone thing why this might be happening.only started after i enabled XMP ...

Caporegime
Update the BIOS.

But XMP aint going to do anything as the boards chipset supports a max speed of 2133Mhz and XMP for the RAM is 2400Mhz, I would leave XMP disabled as the RAM is going to running as fast as it ever will on that board.

Associate
OP
just an update .totally neglected the pc for a while .bit of a newbie question again .How many fans can i have running off one header on my MOBO . on my MOBO theres 2 headers , one for cpu cooler and one fan header. currently my system has a coolermaster nepton 120xl on , this is using both headers.can additional fans be added to the non cpu cooler header ?

Back
Top Bottom