Cant thread compression fittings

Associate
Hello peoples,

I have got a load of new compression fittings for my water cooling and ive attached all the tubes but im having a really hard time getting the compression fittings to thread. I read that you should only screw them on using hands but i cant even get the thread to bite onto the fitting, my fingers are raw from trying. Have i got the wrong size fittings or are they always this difficult? I remember my first attempt at water cooling not being much different. How important is it to screw down the fitting? If i just cable tie them off will that be ok?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Associate
OP
I dont think so. My order slip says it is Primochill Primoflex Advanced Tubing 16/11 - Clear.

Edit....ive just measured the tube and it does look like 16/11.

Associate
OP
ok dude will do. thanks.

Edit.....Mate you are a legend. Soaked the first one and it has screwed on much easier. Could only get it down a couple of threads but i feel happy that its tight enough. Best internet chum of the day. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers guys. Got most of them fit. Retiring for the night. Will finish it tomorrow.

I dont know why they dont teach this stuff in water cooling school?

Associate
Yeah I bought the same tubing and ek 16/12 fittings. Luckily I'd seen some videos and knew to do the hot water. Also watched a fair few jayztwocents videos which were a good help. Like not being obsessed to make the compression fitting go all the way to the bottom of the screw threads.

I've not built my 1st rig yet still waiting for some parts.
Good luck with your build.

Associate
OP
Ok so things have gone a bit smoother today thanks to the old 'soak in warm water' trick.

I have all the tubes fitted and have filled the system, run it a bit, drained it (man a drain point makes that soooo much easier than last time) and have now filled it again and am running checks for leaks.

How long do most of you pros leave it for a leak check?

Im fairly happy its not going to leak, i cant see any more air bubbles working their way out and ive left it running for about an hour. Kind of tempted now to pat myself on the back, pour out a Gin'n'Tonic and complete the build.

Associate
Well done - I've read some say 6 hours others say 24 hours - When I do mine I was going to do 6 hours, but I'm in the same boat as you (listen , read suck it and see) - but impatience suggests an hour at best and then I will want to get loading everything ;)

Well my build is all worked out on paper and I've also built in for a drain port.

Soldato
When i did mine, i was aiming for a 6 hour leak test.

But after a hour and rocking it back and forth, side to side to get air bubbles out, i thought sod it that's enough. :D

Back
Top Bottom