***World of Warcraft : Legion***

Associate
I'm not sure what was so good about Wrath, but expansions since just didn't hit the mark for me.

They need to change something big to bring me back, same old stuff in a new place isn't enough anymore.

Wrath felt like the golden age of WoW to me, and I think a lot of other players.

Like neverender said, a lot of people who've been playing WoW since Vanilla are now 10 years older - will have a lot more responsibilities - and less time to commit to the game.
I remember spending so many ours grinding dungeons and raids in TBC and Wrath, but now I just do not have the time.

Associate
You think the playerbase will ever go above 7 million again? I doubt even Legion will bring people back in. Given the lack of content between now and expansion release the game will probably drop below 4.5 million before we see new content.

I think 7 million is possible tbh, I doubt people thought we'd reach 10 million from 6.8 in MoP, overall though it doesn't matter, even 5 millions is an amazing number for a game that will be 11+ years old.

Soldato
I think 7 million is possible tbh, I doubt people thought we'd reach 10 million from 6.8 in MoP, overall though it doesn't matter, even 5 millions is an amazing number for a game that will be 11+ years old.

It's an amazing number from the POV that no other MMO can match it at this age (most new ones can't lol). But its horrific from the POV that the game has lost half it's players in six months.

Associate
I may come back for this, but WOD looked terrible so maybe not, I have logged a few times in last year and the botters in bg make it unplayable

Soldato
LFR ruined wow really, i think crossrealms and lfg were terrible and really took a lot of the social side away from the game, but LFR really killed any sense of achievement for me. Doing a raid in 'mythic' isnt the same feeling of accomplishment as just doing a raid. Getting a guild or a group together and trying to kill some bosses in a raid was amazing. Now you have seen them all in super dumbed down half afk versions there is no incentive to raid for the majority of less hardcore players.

I say drop LFR, make people form some groups up again on their servers and it would certainly rekindle mine and probably a lot of others interest.

Soldato
I completely disagree that it killed the game. It just meant that the "casual" gamer as they are referred too actually got some enjoyment out of it and Blizz gets to keep a large portion of their player base.

Not everyone has time to do standard raids and hopping in and out helps to solve this and maintain the player base.

But I do fail to see how this stop anyone raiding in the normal way, The only way LFR and LFG impacts you is if you choose to let it do so. I am a casual WoW player these days and finding a guild\Group of people that want to do Raids or be social is easy as pie. They may not be super competent but again it is easy enough to find ones that are.

Associate
The social aspect & guilds are obviously still there but more people are settling for casual play and LFR to see content than wanting a challenge. There are definitely less guilds and people who want to join one.

Associate
The social aspect & guilds are obviously still there but more people are settling for casual play and LFR to see content than wanting a challenge. There are definitely less guilds and people who want to join one.

All LFR does is lets pretty much everyone see the content, whereas before probably not even half of the people who got to max level would get to see it. If people are happy to just do LFR and stop then they wouldn't make it in a somewhat decent guild before LFR was around anyway.

Soldato

That is not entirely the fault of LFR or LFG but a natural progression of a game that has existed over 10 years. I am not saying that they are not partially to blame but peoples lives change, I was 18 when wow was released and 21 when TBC came out, I raided a lot then and through WoTLK but come Cata and MOP I had no time at all to do it due to time commitments. The implementation of LFR means they can keep the player base interested.

What it ultimately boils down to is that the majority of the player base are not hardcore gamers with hours and hours to spend but the casual gamer that has perhaps an hour or two a night or a few hours at the weekend to play and have to cater to those. Both methods of raiding\Grouping\Guilding are still available it just takes more effort to do the old style than the newer ones.

Yes it is a game, but it is business driven. I firmly believe without these things being implemented they would have lost a large portion of their player base and WoW would no longer be viable for them or it would in a drastically scaled back version of what it currently is.

Back
Top Bottom